11 Nov 2008

My Heart Needs A Band Aid

As the parent of adopted children somewhere in the back of my mind always looms the horrid conversations that will, with all likelihood, happen when the girls are teenagers. I know that I am jumping the gun a little bit by thinking that far ahead but I think it is self preservation. Plan for the worst and hope for the best: words that Jakey and I live by.

As I have mentioned many times before Lily is wise well beyond her years and has a very deep soul. Tonight after the girls were out of the bath I was combing Lily's hair and she in turn was combing Rosie's. The following conversation took place.

Lily: Mummy, look at all this new hair that is growing on Rosie's head.
Me: I see it but it still isn't as much as is still growing on your 6 yr old head.
Lily: Let me see if you have any.
Me: I don't but I do have this funny hair here that is called baby hair that is always really blonde and never grows any longer than an inch.
Lily: Why do you still have baby hair?
Me: I don't know. Grandpa has it too.
Lily: Maybe I got mine from my birthmother.
Me: Yes, maybe you did.
Lily: I have got a lot of things from my "real" parents.
Me: I thought we were your real parents?
Lily: No, they are. They gave me birth or whatever it is called.
Me: That's true they did but usually when you have birthparents and adoptive parents the adoptive ones are the "real" ones. We are the ones that love you and ...
Lily:(butting in) They love me too.
Me: Yes they do, very much.
Lily: So they are my real parents.

I wasn't ready for that. I went on to tell her that she can call them and us whatever she likes because it is her life and her story. I didn't want to appear shocked or upset because I need her to be able to tell me and ask me anything and if she thinks she has hurt my feelings or made me sad she won't be truthful she will be protective. My irrational brain went into overdrive and I felt like a child myself and wanted to beg her to say she loves us more. I know that is dreadfully childish and believe me, I didn't react the way my heart wanted to. I felt like I had been jilted by my first love. Such strange emotions were stirred up and within seconds I thought, she wants to go back to China, she feels "different" because she is adopted, she is confused, oh my God she isn't happy. I understand she has questions and she knows she can ask us. More than anything in the world I don't ever want her to be hurt. I didn't push the issue and when she was done talking I carried on as usual but if anyone has a band aid for my heart I really need it.

The conversation continued for a little bit longer and she aired her feelings. We have always been very honest with her about her story and nothing that she says should surprise me but I just didn't expect this yet. I rang my friend Hollis who is so good at keeping her head and dealing with situations that arise out of the clear blue sky and we talked for ages. We have loads of books about adoption but she suggested one that I have never heard of and it is now being overnighted from the fine folks at Amazon. I want to bring the subject up again because I now have a clearer head and will be better able to deal with it. I know you don't get "do overs" in real llife but I am going to try and do this over and see if I can work out where this statement came from.

When I tucked her into bed and kissed her she said, I love you, you're the best Mother in the world. Thanks Schnoogie, I'll take it.

4 comments:

colin said...

hello Dawn,
I am in and I have caught up, so to speak. Your last entry made me smile.It reminded me of a similar situation that arose with me and Daddy.Glad all is well with Rose and it is amazing to see Lily growing so quickly.
P.S. your heart is fine.
Love c

Vivian M said...

Dawn, can you share the title of the book so I can get a copy for myself?

I am so sorry your heart "hurt" and it is only normal, and I think you handled it very well. I think our kids have a hard time figuring out their feelings, and finding the right words to express themselves. It is important for her self esteem to believe her birth parents loved her and are real to her. I am sure that does not take away from your being her real parents, since parents are the ones that raise you. But ouch, it would hurt to hear Kerri say that.

Buckeyes & Eggrolls said...

I'd need a bandaid for my heart as well. At what age did you start talking to Lily about being adopted? I don't think Maddy understands stuff like that right now. Only a week ago did she see a chinese girl at the local chinese buffet and smile and call her "ni hao".. :0)
I'd love to know the name of that book too!

Jennifer said...

Dawn,

My heart hurts with you. HOWEVER, as an educator and mother, I must say that I do know that the vocabulary used and the internal thoughts of a child do not always match, or sometimes they match too well... What do I mean??? Lil is probably saying real, but meaning biological. She is a smart cookie and sees the biological differences between you and her, and she is not able to comprehend the more symbolic and REAL definition of "real mother". She is obviously aware of the love factor, and I know that she loves you with all of her heart and more. You and Jacob are such loving and dedicated parents, and your children beam with happiness and their love for you is reflected in their eyes. Kids say things they do not understand and mean, and I am here for you if you need a hug.

Love,

Jen

ps Evan has said to me in the past, "I don't love you Mommy." After the tears, I realized that he did. His vocabulary and thought processses didn't allow him to represent his true feeling of frustration at the moment! Kids are heart breakers and heart makers. What would we do without our beautiful children?????? kisses

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails