26 Mar 2010

A Tough Ride.

Lily was pumped when she got to the stables yesterday as she learned that she was, once again, going to be riding Red Beauty (see this post). After they were all saddled up and ready to go Lily was told she needed to stay at the end of the line because Bucking Beauty was in rare form and was kicking everyone and everything, Lily just grinned and held her back until everyone was in front of her. Off they went to the paddock and Rosie and I followed behind at a distance with carrots and apples in hand so that we could feed Tacoma. Lily's excitement was rather short lived as Red Beauty was showing her true colours and proved to be to much horse for little Lily. Within minutes she started bucking and rearing and Lily was hanging on for dear life. She was showing some true grit but at one point Hema still had to give Red Beauty a good whack, nothing serious so don't get upset but just something to let her know who was boss. Lily persevered but nearly lost her saddle. That was it! Hema called her over and told her to dismount, I had turned away to tend to Rosie and was surprised when I turned back to see Lily standing and the horse without a rider. I called Lily over and asked if she was in trouble because the conversation I could hear was not good. Turns out the conversation was being directed at another rider not Lil'. Hema then calls a stable hand/trainer to the paddock and Bucking Beauty, Lily, Rosie and myself all got to go the "wall" and Red Beauty was lunged.

If you have never seen this it is really quite something. The wall is in a circle and quite tall, the horses cannot see over it and are tied to a rope and run in a circle whilst being held by a trainer. They go round and round and round. It is part of the training process but if you have a difficult horse you can use it for them also. The horses are usually smacked with a whip to make them run fast and that way they let off some steam however Red Beauty didn't need the whip she just went.....like a flipping rocket. Sand was flying everywhere, her ears were pinned back on her head and she was goneso! On and on she went. I suddenly remembered the camera and started filming her.




Once Brandon felt she was calmer he rode her for a few minutes and then headed back to the paddock. Lily looked at me and said she scared. I was shocked, I don't think I have ever heard those words from Lily EVER. I asked if her she wanted to talk to Hema and ask for a different mount or if she would rather sit the rest of the lesson out or if she could take a big breathe and muster up the courage in true Lily style to show this steed who was boss? She chose the latter and off we went. She didn't smile for quite some time. Hema could tell she wasn't comfortable so she jostled her to bring back her courage and after awhile Lily was back. Red Beauty was better but still not a good horse by any means. Hema told Lily that she is now riding advanced horses and she has to teach them and not the other way round. It was a good lesson on many levels and Lily told me much later that she liked her lesson.

I tried to capture some of Bucking Beauty's antics but could not but each time I turned off the camera she would buck. I did manage to catch her skipping about with out even noticing it. It's right at the beginning. That kid of ours is one tough cookie and considering she still isn't tipping the scales at 50lbs (3,5 stone)I think she manages to put on one heck of a show.
After the lesson Lily had to hold her for a few minutes before she was tethered and she looked rather nervous so I went over and started to talk to the horse. Lily asked me why I was being so kind to her and I gave her the old...you catch more bee's with honey than with vinegar, talk. This horse is relatively new to the stables and I am not sure if it was never trained properly, if it was mistreated or if it is just a cocky horse but I know that here in it's new home it will have a chance to prove itself if it has a kind heart and Lily is going to have to help her. Now after our talk and the talk that Hema gave her she understands.











Note to self: Hema's name sounds like Hema but it is spelled Gema...get it though your thick head. DIMWIT!

2 comments:

Love Letters To China said...

I'm very impressed by how brave your Lily is. She is quite the equestrian already. Love the videos! I don't take nearly enough these days. My new camera doesn't have the video capabilities. Need to take the old one out and start video taping more of my little ones antics.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Tammie said...

Lily truly does have grit. It takes quite some nerve to get back on a horse that makes you nervous.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails