24 Mar 2010

I'm Gonna Get In Trouble Over This One!

Lily is not going to like what I did this morning one little bit but I say she will have to get over it.

This morning at 8.45 we were due at Lily's school for an award ceremony. Lily was being honoured with the Student Of The Month award and the character value was, Pursuit Of Excellence. This is something that I can clearly see that Lily earned. She strives for perfection in all that she does and her report card always reads that she is a leader in the class and helps in all areas and if others need her she is there for them. That's just who she is. Sometimes it drives me batty cos nothing is ever halfway done with Lily it is all or nothing. Sometimes when time is short this is not a good thing says the mother with the same exact personality trait.

I rescheduled my 8.00 am client and knew that I had plenty of time to see Lily get her award before needing to be at a clients house by 9.50. I dropped her at school, came home, got Rosie and Daddy ready and we were outside the school by 8.40 and were still waiting at 9.00am. I was a little anxious as things were now 15 minutes behind schedule. Seconds later we were ushered inside where yet again we hurried up and waited some more. If by chance you have never figured this out, I am not a patient person. I have the patience of a Saint with children but not with adults and I cannot stand tardiness it truly sends me over the edge. Oddly enough if the children of this school are even one minute late they will be marked tardy and this will remain on their school record for the year. Tardiness is unacceptable at WP K8 Centre. Lily has never been marked tardy, not once in 3 years and it won't happen as long as I am in charge.

At 9.15am I looked at Jacob and told him I would have to leave. I kissed him and Rosie goodbye marched and not quietly, to the front of the hall. traipsed over all the kids until I got to my daughter, hugged her and kissed, told her I was so very, very proud of her but that I had to go. She knew the deal, she knows my schedule and all about Mr. C and his surgery today. Any other client on any other day I would have stepped outside used my phone and said I would be late. But today my 80+ yr old client is having surgery. He has no family, lots of friends but I am the one who is there for him today. I promised to be there 10 minutes early to get him mentally ready. He will be fine it is not a biggy but he just needed a push. Had the ceremony had started on time it all would have worked out fine.

I then about faced and climbed back over the kids, I have no shame, walked up to the principal and said, I have to leave, I won't be able to see my daughter receive her award because you are running 30 minutes behind schedule. If any one of these students were one minute late today they would have been marked tardy and you are running 30 minutes late. And with that I turned on my heels and walked out.

When I was finished with work I called my husband and he said she received her award about 5 minutes after I left. I was so cross because this didn't need to happen. I know she will receive more and I will be there. Her old principal was always on time but this guy...sheesh, maybe we need to buy the dude a watch. He is a fabulous administrator but a lousy timekeeper.

And this is why I know Lily will be pissed! I complained to her principal. Oh the humiliation of it all.

2 comments:

Love Letters To China said...

Oh my..... You are too funny! ;-)

Congratulations to Lily for achieving such an amazing award. I wish my daughter would show a big more leadership traits when it comes to school. Now when she's home with Liam, its a whole other story. As I type this, she is shouting out orders to him. He has no chance at getting his way these days. His day will come when he's older.

Tammie said...

Congrats to Lily on this award! I know that she works hard to earn good grades so the honors are not surprising.

Kudos to you for standing up to the principal! In this day & age where both parents have to work, we are tied to jobs & schedules. Not every parent has the freedom to change schedules so you are truly lucky in this aspect. Your commitment to your client is not surprising. This is where Lily gets that aspect of her personality - from what she sees at home.

There is no reason why the program should have run so late. I hope more parents said something to the principal.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails