8 Mar 2007

The Accidental Painting......gulp.


A few years ago Jacob had a Harley. Not just a little bitty girlie one but a big arse serious one.The one in the photo is not his but it was this model and in those colours however Jacobs had spokes, louder and bigger pipes and about 50 million other chromed accessories.( I am too darned lazy to go crawling into the cupboard under the stairs to find the rubbermaid with the photos in) He had that thing all dressed up and loved it very much. I loved it too. He had his first bike at 16 but that love affair ended very fast after he had a really bad accident and nearly had to have his leg amputated....Mama said no more!

So zoom forwards a few years and the bike is in the garage which had a better alarm system on it than our house because H.D. theft is a big business. We had spent the morning doing yardwork which in Jacobland means chop it down to the bare minimum so that you don't have to do it again for months and he had driven off to the dump to get rid of all the yard clippings. I meandered into the garage and noticed a lamp that I had been meaning to spray paint. It was an old halogen that matched nothing in the house so I thought since it worked fine that maybe it could come back into the house if it was a different colour. I found an old towel and placed it on the floor and thought I would just test the paint on the base of the lamp since I was busy doing yardwork. Well, the paint went on well and I stood back to admire it and thought, hmm, I wonder how it will look when it is done. So, being me and not paying attention to anything other than the project at hand I started to spray the pole thingy. I used large sweeping motions and went around and around the stupid lamp. ( note the lamp is stupid, it couldnt be me right?) I then took a step back off of the towel to admire my handy work and when I went to move my foot was stuck to a tacky floor. (stupid paint didn't remember to land on the towel). As I looked down I realised what I had done and with break neck speed I snapped my neck around to check, Betsy, (yes, the bike had a name) and I went cold with fear. It was covered, so too was everything else inthe garage including the wall, some tools, the lawn mower.....you get the picture.
I immediately closed the garage door and started to wipe the paint off. This particular paint had to have an acrylic finish put on it so I had a chance of getting it off if I was fast. That was when I realised how much paint was on the bike, oh yes, it was in every little chromed detail and all over his leathers as well. I panicked and started smearing the paint around cos it was not coming off easily. After about 20 minutes I heard Jacobs car pull into the driveway. I knew he would head into the garage first cos he was filthy and wouldn't enter through the front door so I ran to the side yard and begged him to go in the front door. He asked me what I had done and I declared innocence and begged him to just go and shower. He would not relent and finally I confessed. He ran into the garage to me promising I could fix it. He walked out and jokingly picked me up by my shirt at the neck and held me against the wall and said, fix it woman and then walked off. I swear he was smiling when he did that and he came back a few minutes later and started polishing chrome. Up until the day we sold the house we never did manage to get the paint off the floor and the walls. Thank god he has a sense of humour....I think you need one being married to me. Jacob seems to remember that day very clearly, it comes up in conversation alot around here but he always tells the story with a huge smile and his head shaking back and forth as if to say....you, my dear wife, are a moron. As for the lamp, it went to the dump shortly after!
Ahhhh, life in Dawnland! Now youv'e read it fess up!

9 comments:

colin said...

Hi Dawn.You can come and spray paint our bathroom as it is now three weeks since we decided to redecorate.cant get a plasterer or a tiler for love or money.So for three weeks now the bathroom stuff has been stacked in the lounge and everytime a flannel or toothbrush is needed off we troop into the boxes to retrieve what we need.I could scream and am getting desperate foe the job to be done.So come over and spray the lot.Cheers.Big hug to lily and jacob.will phone over next couple of days.

Nikki said...

Oh my goodness, if you were married to someone else that story could've gotten really ugly!!!!
At least with Jacob you are SAFE in Dawnland...

Polar Bear said...

That is absolutely one for the memory books. I would still not be out of the doghouse had that been me.

I must admit I did laugh outloud. :)

3D said...

I was cringing while reading this!! Jacob is a very good man for not losing it.

Too funny!

Keep smilin!

Beckyb said...

That makes me laugh over here - I have a good Beckyland story - I drove through a hospital parking ramp WITH our BRAND NEW THULE car topper on - it started off black and when I was done scrapin through the ramp it was "skunk striped" - my husband didn't smile though - he took wax and waxed it off - he still doesn't smile over that one!!!

redmaryjanes said...

Oh man, I'm glad that it worked out ok!! Here is a stupid thing that I did once. I was driving my ex-husband's convertible to Chicago with some girlfriends and I pushed the button to put the top up while we were driving down the highway. The wind caught it and it was horrible. People were driving by laughing at us. The top tore-it was bad news.

simply t said...

That is a total crack up! That's a story that will go down in story books. You never mess with a man and his bike, especially the chrome! Ahaha, still laughing.

M and M said...

OMG I am still laughing!!! I am glad that hubby had a sense of humour - I am not sure that I would have!!

Ann said...

That's so something that I would do. Of course if my honey had a harley it would probably have had it's own room

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails