9 Mar 2007

Mandarin 101

This afternoon Lily and I had our first Mandarin lesson and I learnt so much: It is not going to be easy, it is the hardest language to learn, Lily did so much better than I, it could be years before I can say anything meaningful, other than I love you and finally it is going to be fun as being in a class with my nutty kid is a hoot.

I forgot to take the camera, yes that is pretty shocking I know. I would have loved to share some photos of all the little ones singing in Chinese and jabbering away so it will have to wait until next week.

The lady who teaches it is the mother of one of Lily's classmates from nursery school last year and she has a very informal gathering in her home made up of her friends and their little ones. I had a glimpse into Lilys world today from 2 different angles. The first being that I was the different one. Every single person there was Chinese and I was not. Everybody looked like her and not me. I thought it was great to get the insight. And secondly, the workbooks that we use are all chinese so they referred to all things that are usual in everyday life. One sentence that we learnt to say was, my mummys hair is long and black. "T" being the diplomat changed Lilys word to blonde. But there again I saw how she has a different perpsective, not good or bad just different.
After the lesson we all had juice and a snack and then it was playtime. This was lovely as the kiddies continued to sing their new song, in Chinese. Lily was a little bit lost at first but I promised her we could get through it together and when we go to China for her baby sister she will be able to comfort her on Gotcha Day, that pleased her so much and she sucked it up and tried really hard.

Lilys first lessons from Mandarin Class.

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos



Oh and this little number keeps appearing all over the place so I gave it shot. It's quite fun and in my case very accurate about a few things.

12 comments:

Abby's Mom said...

Very neat! I have the tapes and they are so Hard!

M and M said...

That great that you guys are learning Mandarin.

I am still shocked that you forgot your camera!!

Beckyb said...

We are also wanting to learn that - my husband thinks it's THE WAY to go!!!! Good for you!!

Polar Bear said...

That is an awesome class! I wish there were things around our area like that.

I enjoyed the DNA too. Your are right, it is almost scary how well it defines me.

elizabeth said...

That class sounds fun and it's very sweet to picture Lily speaking to her baby sister in Mandarin on Gotcha Day!

Ann said...

ONe of the docs I work with is Chinese, so she gave me some tapes. I was all gung ho about it. I made the surgeons listen to it while they did surgery. I had a book. I went home, hubby and I put it into the stereo. We were listening so intently had the book in hand....the first phrase was something like Where is the market...then the Mandarin translation came on for us to repeat...it went on and on...and on and on. There was no way. We just laughed. I think it's great that you're going to learn Mandarin, it's a tough language. Hey maybe you could give us all lessons on line.

Nikki said...

Wow! Learning Mandarin with Lily!
That is so great. I know it will be fodder for many future blog posts. (Can't wait!)
I love how Lily is preparing to sing and soothe her baby sister in China...what a sweet thought.


BTW: You smoke???

Dawn said...

Nikki
the answer to that is yes. Lily has never seen me and I NEVER smoke indoors. I quit for 2 yrs when we bought her home but I started again.

No lectures please.....I've heard it all before.

redmaryjanes said...

That is so excellent that you are taking Mandarin. Wow!
I did the DNA thing too, it's pretty cool.

3D said...

Very neat that you are taking lessons. I am sure you will both pick up a lot to use in China.

Keep smilin!

Emmie said...

Very cool! I created one too! We have a lot of the same pics! :)

PIPO said...

It looks intimidating...the mandarin that is. I'll have to scope out the DNA thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails