14 Oct 2011

Sigh

Lily is growing up. Yes, I do know that that is a redundant statement and that all kids grow up. But she is starting to "grow up". I swear it was just five minutes ago that she lost her first baby tooth and she was a year behind in doing so. I listened with great delight to her pediatric dentist when she told me that typically kids who start losing their teeth late also start to develop later. Considering how young the kids are now when they start to develop I was over the moon. Lots of other people told me this too. I took these words to the bank. I should have known that any investment in these uncertain times are foolish. YOU grow up mentally not just physically...silly me.

Most of she friends have older siblings. She has always been ahead of herself, has had a reading age much higher than her chronological age, which makes things iffy when it comes to choosing books because most of the books in her reading age are alittle beyond what she should be learning, and she is so darned inquisitive that nothing slips by her.

A few weeks ago, in the span of a couple of days, two of my friends both, out of the blue, asked me if Lily had asked about sex. I told them, with great confidence, that Lily has no clue about it, she is too young, I said. They both said, in no uncertain terms, that I was fooling myself. I old them that Lily knows that she can ask me anything and does. That Lily comes to me with anything. One friend said, "she doesn't need to come to you, she knows what it is, they are talking about it in school. Why would she need to ask you if she already knows?" That statement made alot of sense. but at the same time Lily always comes to me when her friends start talking about new things, swear words, hot topics, etc. I pointed this out and Sandy said, "well if her friends have said, don't tell your parents, she isn't going to". Oh good grief could she really be starting to keep big dark secrets, heck no, not Lily.

I decided to find out for sure and I took her and her alone out in the car on an errand and asked her what the latest buzz at school was. Nothing. So I came right out and asked her if they, they being her school friends, were talking about sex. Yes, was the reply. So we came home and that night after I put Rosie to bed we had "the Talk". Let me just say that it was much easier talking to her about that than it was the first time I ever mentioned birthparents to her and she was only 2 then. We laughed and giggled and she asked questions, just two. We used a fantastic book and never went into great detail. We just answered the question of what it is and she was done. I have told her the book is hers, but she can only read it with me the first time and then she can read it and re-read it as much as she wants by herself. She is only 9 and she needs to get the facts straight not the crazy stuff the kids make up in school. Now that she knows she isn't interested in learning anymore....thank goodness.

I was surprised, no shocked, that she knew. At 9 I didn't have a clue but that was then. So if you are like me and think they aren't talking you might want to broach the subject. I honestly thought she didn't have a clue.

This is a really hilarious video that a friend sent me ages ago. It's really long but i guarantee you will laugh so hard you will cry.

7 comments:

Life frome where we are said...

Oh my!! At 9....why are the parents always the last to know!!

Mother of 2 Angels said...

Hey sweetie - thanks so much for all your comments. Sadly things changed and I was told yesterday that Shea does not want to be adopted anymore. I am hurt and confused but what can I do xxxxxx

Vivian M said...

Can you please share the name and author of the book? Something tells me I might have to start thinking about what to say during the talk a lot sooner than you did.

Catherine said...

They grow up so fast!

That video is hilarious!

Love Letters To China said...

This topic has been on my mind for a while. I'm hoping I won't have to have "the talk" anytime soon, but just in case could you please email me the name of the book you used? Always want to be one step ahead.

I just have to say you really are an amazing mommy. Your two girls are so lucky to have you in their lives.

xoxo

Andie said...

That is a bit scary at 9, but at least you've done the hard bit now. I bet Lily will tell Rosie even earlier!

Maci Miller said...

Wow, 9. They grow up so darn fast! But, good for you, Momma, getting right down to it and talking to her about it and getting her a book to help. Lily's got a great mom to guide her along all the growing up stuff! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails