28 Aug 2011

First week done

We made it to the end of the first week of school. Getting back into the groove has been eye opening in more ways than one. Who knew that an alarm clock going off at 6am could cause such pain? I was really loving sleeping until 8.30 everyday. I have had to wake both girls up everyday which I don't like doing. They are going to bed at 8pm and they are sleeping until 7. School must be tiring. On Wednesday I put Rosie to bed at 7 as she nearly fell asleep at the table during dinner and I still had to wake her up the next morning.

Lily had a fantastic week. She thinks her teachers are really great and is just as happy as a clam. Happy to be back with her friends and to have a new one. For the first time since she started this school she is not in the same class with five of the other faculty members children. This is a good thing a very good thing, 'nuff said. Her homework load has been especially light this week but I know that is about to change. It took three more trips to the supply store for various lists that kept coming home well into the first week but now we appear to have everything we need not to mention all the remaining supplies from last year that remain in perfect condition as they were never used but she HAD to have them on the first day. I am so proud of her. Nothing fazes her and nothing is insurmountable to her.

Since Rosie has had so much of the attention on her this week I felt that Lily had been left in the sidelines so yesterday morning her and I spent some one on one time together. I took her to get a pedicure and then we had a St*rbucks treat and bumped into a friend before heading home. It was really nice to just be with her she even admitted that sometimes she feels like the second fiddle because Rosie is always so needy. After our morning together she felt much better. We are going to be alone next Saturday morning also as she has a well check up at the Dr.'s but that probably doesn't count in her eyes.

Lovely grainy picture compliments of my phone! As an aside the lady in the chair next to Lily also has a daughter from China and she is also from Hubei. She is 13 and was getting her fingernails done.


Rosie survived the first week of school also but I could add the word, barely, to this sentence. Monday we both took the girls to school but on Tuesday I had an early appointment so Jacob took them. Now this is nothing new but it is a new school for Rosie so I knew it would be "traumatic". The rest of the week I was on drop off and pick up duties. By Wednesday Rosie's drop off's weren't getting any better and the madness in the classroom was really over the top so I sent a little note to the teacher all about Rosie and asked if it would be possible for her to give her a job first thing to help distract her. Rosie loves being in school, she tells me each day when I pick her up how much fun she has had , all about her new friends, all about circle time, etc, etc. On Thursday Mrs. Katz met her a the door and told her she needed her help. Well guess what? It didn't help at all. I had also forgotten our tattoo's so she really hit the panic button. I quickly drew a tat' and hightailed it out of there. I know once I am gone she is fine. When I picked her up her teacher pulled me aside and asked me if I remembered her husband? We talked and it turns out I know both the teacher and her hubby from about 10 years ago but I didn't recognise her as she has gained a lot of weight and looks so different but once she said it it all clicked.

Friday I bribed her with a sugary treat that she has always pined for but never been allowed to have. No tears and you get that lolipop. Sad to say the lolipop is still sitting on the island. Lily got hers cos she hasn't shed a tear over school in a few years. Rosie was mad.

We have established a routine for the actual good bye part of the morning. It isn't helping to much yet but repetition is key. I just hope that on Monday when it is Jacob's turn he doesn't quaver and or linger a little bit to long. I have done dress rehearsal after dress rehearsal with him so I think he knows the routine by heart. The problem will be his heart and how fast it folds when he sees those great big Rosie tears.

I met the new Principal on Friday morning purely by accident. As we walked into the school I was saying good bye to Lily and asked her where she wanted to go to celebrate (gotcha day) M1shas or C0ldstone. A lady who was in front of us bending down to talk to a child turned around and said, "ohh, what are you guys celebrating? I noticed she was a faculty member by her clothes and she was really nice but I had no idea who she was. I said that we were celebrating that 8 years ago we became a family and she just gushed about how wonderful it was and that we were so lucky. When Lily made her decision she told her it was a good choice. With that I kissed lilipop goodbye and Rosie and I turned to walk to her class. The lady then stood back up and on her walkie talkie I saw her name so I introduced myself. She then looked at Rosie and said, is this my Rosie? She said that when she went in to the classroom first thing yesterday Rosie had just been dropped off and she was crying so she went back 2 more times just to check on her but she was fine. I like the new principal alot. For 2 years we had the most non approachable nothing as a principal and he followed the best principal in the world. Things are looking up.

We are ready to march into next week with our heads held and dry eyes! Rosie may not agree with this.

2 comments:

Life frome where we are said...

I said this before & it will get better. I went through a similar situation with my granddaughter(not LiLi). My son was a single parent for a few years & I took care of the kids in the morning. My granddaughter went to K-Care in the mornings & onto afternoon kindergarten from there. For two weeks solid I got the tears & clinging when I dropped her off. I would go back to my car & cry myself even though I knew once I left she was fine. It just takes some kids a little longer & especially Rosie. You are doing all the right things.

Hang in there!

Liene said...

Glad your kids are going well at school. We're still waiting to find out what's going to happen with Emi. Eriks just finished day 4 of school and is doing well too. The problem is my kids don't want to go to bed and they're up before dawn so they have been exhausted for about 10 days now. They are so behind on sleep they are starting to be trouble makers. They are picking on each other and driving me up the wall. There are days I swear God is punishing me.

I'm sorry though that Rosie is having such a hard time with drop off time in the morning. When Emi started school this spring the first week or so was rough. I walked her in the first week or so. Some days she cried when I left. Other days she was distracted but I was told a few times that she cried when she realized I wasn't there. When I finally started doing carpool drop off she cried the first few times but then once she got into the routine she was cool. After about 2 1/2 weeks or so, she was fine. She loved school. It just takes time getting adjusted to something new.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails