22 Aug 2011

First day of school

Lets start with Lily's first day: Lily went to bed last night with no anticipation, she just nodded off to sleep knowing her uniform was laid out for her, her book bag was filled to capacity with all her new supplies and her lunch of choice would be awaiting her in the morning. Yes, that's Lily. She just marches full steam ahead with little fanfare. She was a little concerned last year when she found out that she would be having the "strictest" 4 th grade teacher but after talking it through and listening to other teachers she has accepted it all. We met the teacher at meet and greet and she didn't disappoint. She said, hi, from the doorway, barely allowed us in the room, asked Lily if she had been a student at the school in previous years and then started firing multiplication questions at her, machine gun style. When Lily answered them all correctly she finally smiled and said, you are going to do fine. So much for meet and greet, it was more like see and be interrogated. LOL

We all went to Lily's room and after she chose her seat and made herself comfortable we said bye bye. Lily saw a new girl at her table and introduced her and tried to make her feel comfortable. That's the Lily way. Now it was time to drop off Rosie.

Rosie's first day: Rosie also went to sleep with no problems and was fine when she awoke but she did however ask if she HAD to go to school today. Her teacher from last year Ms Maria called the house to speak to her and from what I understand told her it would be fun and new and she would love it and not to cry. OMG...this woman is a saint.

Rosie was fine strutting through the hallways, chatting to everyone, feeling like a big kid in her new school but as we kissed Lily good bye I felt a wind of change. As we went back down the stairs Rosie's steps got slower and her hand pulled in mine. I knew she was starting to get worried. I talked her up again and we walked into her classroom. Well, that was it! Tears, fears and snot everywhere! Everything that Rosie doesn't like was hitting her all at once. Lots of noise, lots of people and it was HOT in the classroom. I surgically removed her from my neck long enough to put down her things and then she jumped back on to me. We walked to her seat and I convinced her to start drawing. I was trying to engage the little boy next to her into a conversation but he was ready to cry himself so I thought it best to leave him alone.

I had no choice but to tell her I was going to walk out of the room but that I would be back very soon to pick her up. I reminded her that she had a special tattoo for the day and if she felt sad of lonely to just look at it and Mummy would be right there looking back at her. (I wrote her a note on her leg this morning and she wrote me one on mine, neither can be seen). Her teacher looked a little bit confused and unsure what to do and asked if she could pick her up. I told her that would help and we kissed her goodbye and headed for the door. She was not happy. She wasn't alone as there were other little ones crying as well. I have been through this with her before, and it doesn't make it any easier but I know that hanging around does make it worse. My heart feels trodden on today. I headed straight to work and counted down the minutes until I could go and rescue, I mean pick her up.


My big 4th grader ready to tackle the year
My Pre K'er all ready to take on the world
Matching uniforms
Running down the hall into Lily's classroom
Looking a little pensive
Aww, look at that big smile.
One sad little Rosie doing her work
see that...kids a genius. LOL
No NO don't leave me here.

The clock ticked, oh so slowly until we were finally able to head back to school. As is commonplace here the afternoon storms rolled in right at the moment of release. A quiet little girl followed her line out to the parents but didn't spot us so Jacob was able to spy on her for a moment. Once she saw us she smiled the biggest smile and ran to me. Turns out her new school is OK but she cried on and off all morning. Some of the kids left immediately after lunch and when she realised she wasn't one of them she got teary eyed but stopped again quite quickly.
I'm not sure if she realises this is now a daily occurrence. We have the option to only send her for half a day but have chosen to send her for the full day. If it seems that this really is to much for her after a a couple of weeks we will start sending her half days only.
Lily's day finishes an hour after Rosies so we headed back, still in the rain and waited and waited for Lily's class to be dismissed. I was not a surprise to hear Lily gush about her day, her new friends and say that the teachers weren't as bad as everyone said they would be. (not about to tell her this but....that's not what all the parents were saying in the pick up line! All of Lily's friends with older sibs have had these ladies and this is not going to be a fun year, for sure) But I'm ready and so is she. Bring it on.

All in all a good day. It definitely ended on a better note that it started. Oh, Rosie barely touched her lunch today but I didn't think she would. By the end of the week I think she will hungry.

6 comments:

Sherri said...

thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. At first I had no idea who you were until, I came to your blog. And you are so welcome for the comment I left on your facebook. Your girls are both just beautiful! It's sad that we have to block family from our blogs, but like you said - I have but 3 on my facebook - it just doesn't work for me having them as my friends when they can treat you so wrong...who needs them? Not I...anyway, thanks again!
hugs,
Sherri

Love Letters To China said...

Bless her little heart. It must be horrific leaving Rosie while she is so sad. I remember L. doing the same last year. I knew he was in good hands, but it just doesn't make it any easier.

Lily looks so big in your pictures. I'm sure she's going to do so well in 4th grade. :-)

xoxo

Jeanne said...

They both look so grown up in their uniforms. Pleased to hear the day ended on a happier note and hope things get easier for Rosie as the week goes on.

Hugs

Jeanne x

Vivian M said...

Awww, so many changes. I am amazed how much taller the girls are in just one summer, I think English countryside air did wonders for them! ;o)
Hope it just gets easier every day....(Hugs).

Andie said...

I bet you're glad that day is over, I hope it gets easier for Rosie now. She does look taller to me, but then her feet look bigger too, could just be me!!!
Of course I thought the date on Rosie's page was a mark, 8/22, maybe I need to go back to school.

Catherine said...

Such a big day for both your girls and you captured it so well! My little Hannah will also be going to school all-day everyday beginning in Junior Kindergarten. Such long days for them. I hope Rosie settles and begins to enjoy her time in pre-K. Her writing skills are great! As I read your past post I was amazed at what she could do! It's hard to believe all those skills are only a year away for us too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails