21 Aug 2011

Why does it have to end?

Oh gosh, it's this time of year again. The time of year when I complain that the summer just flew by and now we are about to head back to school and routines and worst of all the crazy rush.
I adore my children, I am not happy to see them go back to school. If I thought home schooling was an option I would do it. But for us it is not. I will miss having them with me every single day. Miss the idea of just being able to fly by the seat of our pants when a whim catches us. Miss hearing them chat, and shout, and laugh, and bicker, miss playing M0nopoly with them and Snap, miss the pool and the playdates, even miss taking 2 hours instead of 1 to do the grocery shopping because they are both in tow and every single thing in the store evokes a question. Most of all I will miss the pace that we have set ourselves over the summer. I don't think I have uttered the words, "hurry up, we are going to be late" in a couple of months and definitely not during breakfast.

Rosie is not at all happy at the prospect of a new school year. She has told me so many times that she will cry. I have reassured her, I have brushed her off, I have talked with her, I have done it all. I have talked with the therapist and right now I know that tomorrow morning is going to be awful for her. If there was a way to make it easy, to fast forward to the second week so I could show her how much she is going to love it, I would. I have made it as exciting as possible. I even printed out lunch menu's for her so she can "order" her lunch and slap it right into her own lunch box. Her uniform is the same as her sisters, well almost the same. I always buy their uniform shirts directly from the school but they have stopped carrying extra small (duh) so I had to buy her polo shirts at the uniform store and sew on the logo myself. She picked out her clothes tonight and ran into Lily's room to check they would be dressed the same. As you can imagine, Lily is thrilled, not! Now she is in bed but I don't think she is asleep even though we went swimming today for hours just to wear her out.

We had a fabulous summer vacation, we really did. From the moment school got out we started travelling and having fun and it didn't stop until last Tuesday when we got home from Seattle. The kidlets have had the kind of summer that makes you want to be a kid again.

Last night I was talking to a friend on the phone and she and I share the same feelings about summer ending and she said, "Oh why cant we just have a few more ........" I thought she was going to say weeks but she said "months" and we both cracked up laughing. Yes, that's it we just need a few more months of this life, it really would be fabulous. Right about now I'd make a deal with the Devil just for a few more days with the girlies without the rushing and god forbid the freaking homework. At least this year the FCAT won't be new so hopefully the pressure will be lifted, at least a little.

I am going to go now and count down the days to our next vacation. I'm just a rebel!

4 comments:

Life frome where we are said...

Good luck tomorrow......correct that it's 4:00am...I mean today!

Maci Miller said...

Wow, they start already? Hope Rosie's 1st day isn't too bad. You never know. She may be surprised and love it! Ruby doesn't start for a couple weeks yet and I have to say I am really glad. Feel the same as you...gonna miss my lil bug! Hugs to Rosie!

Briana's Mom said...

I feel the exact way you do. My summer with Bri was wonderful and I wish I could get it back! I'm glad you enjoyed every second of your summer though!

kitchu said...

sounds like Rose and E are cut from the same cloth! hope her first day was fabulous. as it turns out, E cried for 10 minutes and then had a FABULOUS day!! all smiles when i picked her up :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails