25 Feb 2011

So Sweet

I don't stop. I figure that I will have plenty of time to rest when I am dead so since I am not, I just go go go. Like most mothers I am the glue that keeps this family together. I think ahead, sometimes by minutes, sometimes by days, other times by months. I am an organizational nutter.
It is very rare that I ever sit down, even for 5 minutes, during the day. After the girls go to bed I start all my chores and when and only when, they are done I will sit down and see if there is anything on the telly.
I go to bed too late and get up early. Every single day I say, tonight will be an early night but I end up saving that for the next day.
Sometimes Mother Nature intervenes and slams me with a migraine that brings me to my knees. Migraines that are so intense I run a fever and can barely speak. I lay on the bathroom floor and do not move. These are rare and thankfully when they happen Jacob is usually home so he takes over whilst I sleep. Yesterday following the field trip I was hit by a freight train migraine. Hubby was working and so it was all up to me. I made it to Lily's school and picked her up but as soon as we made it in the front door I hit the bathroom floor.
Lily appeared with a glass of ice water and a few minutes later with an ice pack for my head. I never use ice so I don't know where she got the idea but it felt great. A few moments later she told Rosie to be quiet cos Mummy had a bad migraine. She proceeded to get her and her sister a snack, get them both a drink and then set-to doing her homework. I was trying to get it together but was failing.
The ice on my head felt amazing so I just nursed my self and stayed still. I felt so guilty listening to Lily play Mummy but I was truly unable to move. After an hour or so I was able to function albeit at 5% of my potential.
Lily had everything under control. I was so amazed my her ability to step into my shoes and really proud of her. Rosie was being pretty awkward but she didn't let it get to her. Each time she became loud, indignant or just "Rosie" Lily found a way to quieten her down and entertain her. She kept checking on me and offered to bring me many things.
Somehow, somewhere Lily has learnt compassion, empathy and responsibility. She really showed me what a big girl she is becoming and made me proud.
Since I am back to speed train status today I am treating Lily to something special for all of her efforts yesterday. I want her to feel proud of herself.

I get smacked by migraines all the time but usually I can medicate and move through it but not yesterday. My mantra for today is......it's going to be an early night. This time it might happen cos the idea of my little girl playing the mummy just did me in. That is not right, that is my job.

3 comments:

Life frome where we are said...

I bet she learned from her Mummy....such a sweet girl!

pam said...

i am upset that you did not call me. Next time please call I am not far away and have told you many times if you need anything call. I am so proud of Lily please tell her so, and Rosie too for listening to big sis. I hope your migrane is better and if not I am here. love you guys Pammie

Maci Miller said...

oh I'm so sorry. You poor thing. It's so hard to be sick with little ones cause you wanna just plug on through. But sleep is one thing you can't miss or it catches up with you. Gets me every time...and yet here I am up at 1 am tonight, lol. Anyway, hope you do better than me and get some rest!

Good to know what a sweet, sweet girl Lily is. Sign of a great mom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails