24 Jan 2010

Simple Fun.

Lily had 2 school projects assigned to her last week and they are both due tomorrow. Since Monday was MLK day and Friday was a teachers work day I told her that if she completed them both and handed them in by last Thursday she could choose to do something/anything she wanted to on Friday. Do I need to say that they were both handed in before the due date? I didn't think so. I am teaching her not to procrastinate. Whenever she gets a project assigned we always follow the same guidelines and once we have all the materials needed she starts work on it right away.

She had a really enjoyable 3 day weekend with just her usual studies and no big projects looming over her head as they were done and she was free. Friday morning she requested that we go and pick strawberries and tomatoes. It was a really fabulous morning and I have to say that her choice of activities surprised me but I was thrilled with her decision.














What surprised me the most was that they didn't eat their way around the field because both of them love berries and the first time we ever took Lily to do this she snarfed about 3lbs of them and was covered in strawberry juice from head to toe.
We followed this trip up with lunch at a place called Cool de Sac. No big raves from me or the girls. They had fun but I can't see us going back. It is a restaurant with a play area where the kids can dress up, play on computers, do art projects etc. Just the same stuff we can do at home. They had fun but didn't rave about it. As we were leaving the Rosie said, Look Mummy, Genevieve's mummy! I had no idea what she was talking about until about 3 seconds later when Lily piped up, Look Mummy. it's Ms. Clavell. Then I finally got it. The movie Madeline. They saw a nun. OMG is was so freaking funny and without anybody else being aware what we were doing we went in hot pursuit of Ms. Clavell with the girls singing songs from Madeline. We were laughing like silly school girls, oh wait they are silly school girls! So what was my excuse? (The nun was oblivious, I am not rude, just silly)

We finished off the day at Misha's swanky little cupcake store and indulged in the best cupcakes I have ever eaten. Even Rosie ate hers. I think we will be boycotting a traditional birthday cake for Rosie this year in favour of these.


The girls were so happy after such a simple day of simple pleasures and flopped into bed content. Yesterday their highlight was when our friends Richard and Shara came over to pick something up and rang before they came to say,.... can we bring the dogs with us? Sure you can the girls will love it! And did they ever.

The girls and Sophie. Sophie is a Therapy Dog at Miami Children's Hospital and is just such a loving dog. Ignore the fact that she just happens to be chowing down on a Chinese kid! It's just a coincidence!


Rosie loves Sophie and loves the fact that she is so big and gentle. Of course when that tail wags and whacks her in the face she falls down but that is the only thing that bothers her about Sophie.


Snickers isn't known to be a very sociable dog but she decided yesterday that Lily was just fine. Rosie was not so great but she did really well. I was a little nervous but Shara and Richard know my history and are more guarded around the girls and I than they usually are. Even though they laugh at me....kindly!


First thing this morning we went and met a friend of a friend who is collecting donations for the Haitian orphans that have arrived here. Last night the girls went through their toys and chose some to donate. Both of them chose one "special" toy to part with and I was really proud of them. We also checked their closets and all of the kitchen cupboards for baby cups, spoons, and any no longer needed baby items etc. Oh these poor little children...it is heartbreaking. Rosie had a hard time parting with one of Lily's toys and kept taking it out of the box. When we got home she found it under a pillow on the couch!!! She looked genuinely shocked when she discovered it so I am letting it slide, this time.

The rest of the day was spent riding bikes and playing Wii. I laugh so hard watching my girls play wii. It is the funniest thing I have ever seen. I really do need to video them and share the sight with the world.
I hope you all had a lovely weekend as well.

2 comments:

Love Letters To China said...

So glad to hear you had such a nice weekend. Those are the best, aren't they? I've never gone strawberry or tomato picking. It's always been something I've wanted to do, but for some reason I never have. Might just need to do that before the season ends. I'm sure my little one would devour all the tomatoes before we ever made it back to the car! ;-)

Vivian M said...

I am glad you are documenting these memories for the girls. Some day they are really going to enjoy reading and laughing about their adventures, like the nun or the hidden toy.
Our girls grow up so fast, cherish these moments with them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails