20 Jan 2010

It.

The last few days have been filled with utter heartache as the dust from the earthquake in Haiti has started to settle and the magnitude of the destruction is rising to the surface. Through the many pictures that I have seen it is the ones of the babies and children who have lost their parents that hurt me the most. It really doesn't matter to them that the rest of the world is sending aid because they have lost the most important part of their lives, their mummy's and daddy's. Everything in Haiti changed in an instant and for those little tiny children the only person that could even start to make it feel just a tiny bit better has vanished, forever.

This morning as I was getting ready for work it was these tiny victims that were weighing heavily on my heart. As I looked at Lily and Rosie all snuggled in bed with their Daddy and watching Curious Ge0rge on television this conversation took place.

Me: Lily how would you feel about a Foster brother or sister?
Lily: Would we have to keep it?
Me: "It"? No, we wouldn't have to keep "it" we would just take care of them until his or her situation got better or until a forever family was found.
Lily: How old would "it" be?
Me: Oh I don't know somewhere from about 10 down to Rosie's age I think.
Lily: Would "it" be a girl or a boy?
Me: I really don't know but I think probably a girl since we have 2 girls and are better suited as a household for girls but I really am not sure.
Lily: Where would "it" sleep?
Me: Since you and Rosie now always sleep together in your room, "it" could have Rosie's room.
Lily: So long as "it" doesn't have to sleep with me that would be fine.
Me: Well actually, "it" would probably be very scared at first and the thought of sleeping alone would be horrid so yes, perhaps "it" should sleep with you.
Lily: Are you crazy? 3 beds in my room, that's way too squishy.
Me: Okay then "it" can have Rosies" room.
Lily: So long as we don't have to keep "it" , "it" can come and stay here.

I'm sure she was being very nice really. LOL
My poor sweet husband who had no idea where this conversation came from was laying in his bed looking somewhat shell shocked at his wife who is apparently about to sign him up for a Foster Child.
I am not about to do this. I would love to but Rosie is not quite ready to get ousted from her position in this family and I cannot mess up the dynamic that has taken so long to get to where it is. However if someone should knock on my door and beg for help..well then I would not be held accountable for my actions.

4 comments:

Maci Miller said...

I hear you. I haven't read or watched a lot on this for the same reason. It's so heartbreaking and I'm afraid of what i might do. It's too soon for us to think about no. 2.

Some good news hit around here though. Our governor just came home from Haiti with 50 orphans that were paperwork ready or near ready before the quake. All of the paperwork (and some officials) were lost, of course, but somehow he was able to get those children out and to their families. Hurray, for some much needed good news among such sadness!

Love Letters To China said...

My heart bleeds for those children too. It is such a sad state of affairs over in their homeland. I think any child you might foster would be one lucky little kiddo.

Vivian M said...

I agree that if Rosie is not ready then you should wait. But I totally understand how you feel, I would open my home up to as many "Its" as possible if I could!

Tammie said...

Ditto to what Viv & Grace said.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails