10 Aug 2009

Outraged

I am sad, actually I am beyond sad. My heart is breaking for a family that I have never met. The Scruggs Family ( Click on the family name to link to their site) went to China and officially adopted their little girl Harper on June 4th and were told on june 5th that she had tested positeve for an active case of T.B. but had been treated and was now testing negative and had been doing so for 3 months. When they went to the obligatory medical exam for adoptive children in China she once again tested posiitve. The T.B. test is a new test that was implemented 30 days ago. The CDC (Center For Disease Control) working hand in hand with United States Immigration will not allow an adopted child to fly into this country with an active case of T.B. and will not allow the parents to mask Harper for the flight! The bottom line is this. Harper is now their daughter and has to stay in China for 42 more days until she can be re tested following a regimen of medications. Her parents cannot afford to stay with her for 42 more days and honestly who could? They have another child and both have to work so Harper is being forced to stay with a family that the Scruggs have found that are loving and kind and are willing to help them out. Do you have any idea of the ramifications this will have on her. Does the CDC even care. No, of course they don't.

The Scruggs are asking that you sign this petition
Click Here And so am I.
They are also asking that you call your senators and representatives and you can do that by clicking here and here

I have also emailed every local television station and newspaper everyday and each day I flood my facebook page with their story and I won't quit. Thankfully they are starting to get some coverage.

This is their Youtube Video of when Jay had to say good bye to his little girl....you will need tissues.
part one


Part two



What the hell is the matter with this country that it can treat adopted children differently than biological children? I am not a U.S. citizen and after the noise and fuss I am making about this I probably won't be invited to be one anytime soon.

2 comments:

Buckeyes & Eggrolls said...

That is so sad! How do you test negative and then test positive again? We were told that even if Maddy had active TB.. she could not give it to anyone while she was so young because the lungs aren't developed enough to spread it. She had to take 9 months of medication and that was that. Her chest x-ray was negative. They don't know if the medication cured it or not. They never will know because she can't be 'tested' again because she will always test positive. the only way we will ever know if the medication worked is if she never develops TB in her lifetime.
I don't understand this new rule.. REALLY!!!

Maci Miller said...

Oh, this is just HORRIBLE! I didn't watch the video. I can't. Not today. But I will. And I will write to whomever I can. How very, very sad for that little girl and her family. I'm glad you are blogging about it and letting people know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails