25 Nov 2008

Faith Restored In Humanity

Yesterday I was at the supermarket and all the registers had enormous lines at them. There is a school close by for troubled, and slightly mentally challenged kids and they were there also doing there shopping. I got into the shortest line and noticed that the man in front of me had 3 trolleys completely filled with turkeys. As he was an elderly gentleman I asked if he would like some help unloading them. He told me that they were very heavy so I told him I have to lug two kids about and I could manage. We chatted about people helping people and what a wonderful world it would be if we all did it.

He then paid for his gobblers and as he was tucking his receipt into his wallet the lady from the school approached him and hugged him and thanked him. It turns out that this gentleman had not only purchased 50 turkeys for needy families but he had also picked up the tab for the school. It was a very expensive grocery trip and he did it because he cares and because he can. I was so very touched by his kindness.
"My" bag boy Devon helped him out to his car and I told him to hurry back cos he is the only guy the kids will let push the cart. When he came back in he looked sheepish. I asked him what had happened and he very quietly told me the man had given him a very big tip. I told him he deserved and that I thought the old man was a wonderful human being. I felt so good yesterday to find out that there are still kind people in this world.

Now on to today. This might upset some of you as it involves gay rights so if it does just stop reading and come back tomorrow.

Our court system this morning overturned a law that banned gay couples from adopting children. They viewed it as unconstitutional. I am so happy. I was saddened with the outcome of amendment 2 on election day. Gay couples are just like you and I. You fall in love, you cannot help it and since when did love, caring and commitment make you a terrible person. I am teaching my children to respect all others regardless of creed, colour, race and sexual preference. We have a gay couple in our lives and one day I will tell the story of them, with their permission of course. My life would not be the same without them, neither would the lives of Lily and Rose.

It is a happy day and we have so much to give thanks for this year.

I have posted a lot lately but I will be taking a few days off as we are heading across the pond for the weekend. Me and the girlies, off to the Old Country we leave tomorrow evening and will be back on Sunday. We live in Dade County remember, so Lily cannot miss school.

7 comments:

Tammie said...

Stories such as yours always "warm the cockles" of my heart. It truly is a miracle to find someone such as this gentleman in today's age. I'm sure that if your girls have chosen Devon as "their" bag boy, he must have deserved the tip that he was given. And sometimes, just accepting a tip is the good deed itself.

Have a safe trip across the pond & enjoy yourselves!

Dannye said...

hope you had a great trip, and thanks for sharing that story with us...so very touching...

and hope you had a great thanksgiving...from our little (but growing) family to yours!!

Vivian M said...

I was celebrating Frank Gill's win in court too! I just wish it would not be appealed.
What a wonderful thanksgiving story, it warms my heart that there are still people out there that do for others unselfishly and with no strings attached.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving - we are grateful for your friendship and that Lily and Rosie are happy and healthy (and your eye is hopefully getting better!). Hugs!

colin said...

love you Dawn. Does this mean humanity is restored in faith. hope so.Travel safely.Colin xx

Buckeyes & Eggrolls said...

Happy Thanksgiving! What a nice post! It is so wonderful to read that there are still nice people out there! Hope you had a wonderful day and a wonderful weekend.

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

Great post my friend; on all fronts.

Hope that you are having a fabu time in the "old country"

Love
me

colin said...

Hi Dawn.By the time you read this you will have safely arrived home.
Here it was busy. love you cx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails