2 Dec 2008

We Miss Grandpa, Nannis and Gypsy

Whenever I go home, yes I do still call it home and it will always be home to me, it is as if no time has passed at all and we slip right back in to English life. This was a very brief visit but it was worth every second. The visit was made even shorter by the fact that we were delayed in Miami on Wednesday night for 3+ hours. Normally this would be a slight hiccup but when every second counts it was a real pain in the neck.

Rosie rose to the occasion and I am happy to report that she travelled just as well as her sister did at her age. Before the plane had even reached the taxiway both girls were fast asleep and remained that way until we came in for a landing.

After a brief car trip we arrived at my parents home and the games began. Rosie was a little unsure of everything for about 10 minutes but she soon warmed up and followed Lily's lead. Lily has a very strong bond with her Grandparents and it was obvious that Rosie wasn't about to be left out. Most of Thursday was spent awaiting the arrival of the newest member of the family, baby Erin. Jeanne's youngest son and his wife were also coming to stay and they were bringing their new baby. Lily was so excited about it but due to the late night the night before she was already in bed asleep before they arrived. Rosie woke up and was more than a little surprised to find not only Nannis and Grandpa downstairs but also a new baby and a dog.
We were all more than a little surprised when Rosie sat with her Uncle Chris so that she could inspect the baby.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


The following morning we all woke up really really late and Lily was beside herself with excitement when she met Erin and Gypsy the dog. She still has no idea that Rosie had already met them and we are keeping it that way so shhhhh. Nannis, the girls and myself all went out to do a little shoppy, the second reason for the trip and we stopped to have lunch. When Lily and Nannis went to get a table Rosie suddenly went running after them and was more than happy to be with Nannis.

Cheeky little monkey


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


Lily just LURVES lunch out with Nannis.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


After all the shopping we went home and played with Grandpa. This is the same grandpa who isn't supposed to be lifting the kiddies at the moment and isn't supposed to be over doing it...hmmmm.



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


By Saturday morning I thought we were going to have to surgically remove Lily from Gypsy.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


At this point there were 6 of us visiting N and G but that all changed cos Uncle Mike showed up with Lily's favourite cousin Heather. Let me tell you it was chaotic. I left and took Rosie and we went to visit my Uncle John.

The 3 cousins


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


Lily with the youngest member of the clan.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


We had a really wonderful time. It was short, way to short but Lily got to see her grandparents so for the first time since this summer I am not having to listen to her whinge about missing them. Rosie got to meet her grandparents and is of course smitten, who wouldn't be? The weather was cold, freezing cold and we all loved it. I lost Rosie's blanket when we all went for a walk about the town so that made for a wonderful naptime and bedtime that night! We went to visit Andie's parents and Rosie left me with my mouth hanging open as she made herself right at home and even shared her remaining blankies with Auntie Ann. My father wondered if the similarities between Ann and Andie put Rose at ease...who knows, she just loved being there. Lily loved it too as they didn't have any toys for her to play with so Uncle Brian showed her his gun collection. I know it isn't very PC but what the heck, she loved it and he is a pro with such things so I knew she was safe!

Everybody went to bed rather late on Saturday night and I had to be up at 4am to get us ready to leave at 5:45. I was counting on 3 hours of sleep but Lily woke me up at 2 cos she was sick....very sick. At 5:30 Daddy got up and I told him I didn't think we would be able to leave and did he have a mop and bucket!!! Nuff said!
I carried/dragged a very poorly Lily through Heathrow and have to say I was bowled over by all the people who were willing to help. I asked no one yet people kept creeping out of the woodwork. It was truly another example of the human spirit. Lily slept for 8 of the 9 1/2 hours home and was finally feeling better when we landed.
Of course not all stories end on a chipper note and once we were back in Miami the horrible attitudes just kept raising their ugly heads starting with immigration! The chap was so rude and I was so tired I swear I nearly told him to kiss my lily white ar*e but I refrained as I didn't fancy another flight back to the UK right then.

The girls spotted Jacob before I did and the whole arrivals area was forced to listen to shrieks of, "daddy, daddy, daddy". It was so sweet.

I woke up yesterday and headed to work when suddenly I was hit like a lead balloon with whatever it was that Lily had. It knocked me flat for 27 hours but it left as fast as it came and we are all hoping that Rosie and baby Erin don't come down with it as it appears that Lily already spread it to Nannis and Uncle John before we left. Oh and this lurgy has a name: winter vomiting disease. I swear I am not making it up. My father rang yesterday and spoke to Jacob and told him that there is a mini epidemic spreading across the UK. If you don't believe me google it. Even I couldn't come up with a name that barmy!

To my wonderful brother and Jon. I am so sorry but there just wasn't time. It would have been to rushed and I didn't want that, I want a night like we had last time. Lets do it this summer.

I saw my sister her hubby and my niece and nephew. It really is amazing how many people you can see when they all live close together!

Last but not least, Thank you Daddy and Jeanne. I wish it were longer but there is always next time.

5 comments:

colin said...

glad your safely home gel.Sorry to hear you all developed Norovirus....it is sweeping the country and delaying operations at addenbrookes Hospital, but so far have managed to avoid it. the bug lasts up to 48hrs.It is highly contagious. Best treatment rest and plenty of fluids.
enough of that. great to see you are back 'home' safely. Nuff 4 now
Love Cx

Tammie said...

Sounds like a lovely trip home. Sorry to hear that there was some sickness involved. Winter vomiting epidemic huh? I'll pass thank you very much.

Tammie said...

BTW, will you guys be joining us in December for the holiday party? We're meeting at the same restaurant, & you know that Jacob loves their lobster bisque. (Hint. Hint. I wanna see Lily & Rose again. And Erin wouldn't mind either.)

Andie said...

Glad you had a good time, it's a shame it wasn't longer and I'm sorry I missed it, again.

Hope you're all feeling better now.

Vivian M said...

Welcome back home safe, and glad everyone is feeling better. Getting sick on a trip away from home is no fun!
Love the pictures, and the memories your girls will have are priceless. I am sure the trip was worth every penny, hope you can do it again soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails