5 Sept 2007

Strange Sleep Habits

From our very first night with Lily she has proven to be a good sleeper. Once we were released from the topsy turvy timeclock that she was using when we first returned home she started to sleep very well again. We wanted to put her in her crib and get her used to sleeping alone as soon as possible and she only put up a bit of a fuss for a few nights and since then she has gone to bed without any problems or fuss. Yes, we do know how lucky we are.

Her bedtimes have always been quite interesting as she has always had to take something with her to bed. As long as it was nothing dangerous we always allowed her to do it and so at a very early age she was sleeping with a little soccer ball in addition to all her favourite stuffed animals. After awhile this grew old and she switched to her plastic dolls teas set.....the whole thing. She never played with these things in her crib she would just arrange them all aound her and snuggle down with the Bun and go off to dreamland. Needless to say we had to take her out of her crib and put her in a big bed when she was still quite young but with all her clobber she was just to cramped in a crib.

She has always done this and the first time we went to England she decided the object of choice was a different piece of pot pourri every night. My father thought it was really freaky and well, I suppose he is right. But even her first night there she went straight to sleep with her pot pourri placed next to her on her pillow. This last trip it was an antique brass object that she snagged from the lounge and her Nannis and Grandpa said she could take it.

Now that we are home and Jacob has been dilligently making DVD's of the trip she took a broken disc and it has been under her pillow every night along with a drawing of an Easter egg that she has had there since last Easter. She even has a little blanket and pillow for these things that she made herself. When I make the bed and or change the sheets I have to replace these objects as she checks for them every night before going to sleep.

Oh yes, do you see that hideous poster on her wall? Gone is the perfect dream bedroom that I painstakingly chose for her. She has started to decorate with her own taste. Jacob allowed the poster on the wall one day when I was at work. I nearly had a cardiac event when I saw it. But she is getting bigger and it is her room after all. ( If I say that 1,000 times I just might be able to believe it)





13 comments:

Johnny said...

Amusing and sweet.

3D said...

Quirky and cute.

Keep smilin!

Dannye said...

whatever helps her to feel safe and secure in the bed...too funny that gal of yours is...but we love her all the same!!

Special K said...

It's so much more fun in life to be a little different.
Dontcha agree? Good for Lily the oddball. :)

Pug Mama said...

damn! I can't see the picture on my computer for some reason...funny, that has never happened with your blog before.
well, at least it is a drawing of an Easter egg and not an ACTUAL Easter egg.

Nikki said...

My Lily is the SAME way...she is always taking something into the sack with her: chopsticks, books, pictures, etc.
(Quirky is good. it keeps life interesting!)

Janet said...

Tee hee. I know what you mean about them "decorating in their own taste". My kids have started doing that too. It's soooo hard for me to keep my hands off their walls, but I have to remind myself that it's THEIR rooms, their own private space. Sigh. THat's hard to do with a MILLION Pokemon pictures on the walls!

Steffie B. said...

OMW.....are she and Sophia long lost sisters????? We go through the exact same things here. You've seen her crib....she has all sorts of things in there.....I can only imagine what will happen when I put her in a bed....which I might add I am currently trying to find.

Patricia/NYC said...

OK...Lily is just TOO CUTE for words!!! This habit of hers is soooo sweet!!

PIPO said...

I love it - so she's a little stasher! Her quirks are wonderful.

Yep, that poster made my eyelashes spontaneously combust ;0)

insanemommy said...

You know it's amazing to me how quickly they discover their own little taste and style. My girls now will cry or point to what they want to wear. AND they're only 2!!!! I'm waiting for the day we are decorating the room from head to toe in Dora, Elmo or Mickey!!!! I think it's around the corner..

Polar Bear said...

At least it is a princess poster - wait until the teen heart throbs start going on the walls! :)

Molly's Mum said...

That was ADORABLE!!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails