8 Jun 2007

Childhood Memory Meme

I was tagged by Dannye in this Childhood Memory meme that is spinning around from blog to blog. I have had to take a while to think about it cos I had an idyllic childhood so trying to pinpoint just certain parts is very hard. These are in no particular order


1. I loved Christmas in our house. I hated the fact that we had to walk past our pressies on the way to the kitchen to eat breakfast before we could open them and the fact that my father always had to have more to eat but the whole day was just wonderful. My mum loved to decorate and make the house look really nice and we always had extra special goodies just for that time of year. We would go to my Grandmas for lunch and spend the afternoon playing with our new toys with our cousins. The men were in charge of clean up and we always had a huge house full of people so the lady's would cook and then they were able to relax.


2. My cousin Stephen always came to visit his dad for the summer (actually all the school holidays) and we were inseparable. We would take off on our bicycles early in the morning and not return until it was tea time. We would ride for miles and miles and Grandma always gave us a picnic lunch. I would never let "me" ride that far anymore but we had such wonderful days.


3. I grew up in a horsey family but I did not like to ride anything that had it's own brain so my cousin and I were given motorcycles instead of horses. I spent hours upon hours just racing through our field on motorcycles. I loved to do stunts and learnt to ride whilst standing on the handlebars.


4. This is more of a confession but it was so much fun at the time. We lived in a very small village, it didn't even have a shop and everyone knew everyone. There was only one road in and out as it was a dead end. By American standards it was more of a cul-de-sac than a village but it was a village. My cousin and I used to take my dads car keys and drive the van up and down the driveway. He didn't care and we were on private property so no one else cared either. One day Stephen and I decided that it was boring just going back and forth so we decided to go out and about in the village for a spin. There was a horse path that goes round the village and we decided to take the van for a spin along it. We were having a great time driving around and around. At one point we could see another larger van up ahead and thought it was odd so we reversed and went back the other way. A few seconds later we saw another car blocking the way again so we reversed and went back. Suddenly Stephen realised that the 2 cars belonged to his father and mine! We were caught red handed. Since we knew we were in trouble we just jumped out of the van and ran through the field and back into my house and left the van in the middle of nowhere with the engine running.


5. I was very close to my Grandma and loved her dearly. I saw her nearly every single day of my life until she died when I was 18. She was the epitome of a Grandma: always baking, spoiling us, always ready with a hug. I even slept with her when I stayed at her house and believe me I didn't have to her house had plenty of room but I loved it and she wanted me there in case anything happened. Anything Grandma is a wonderful memory.

6. In the summer time all of the village kids would come to our house and we would sleep in the garden in a tent. (if my dad reads this one I am dead meat)One night my sister woke me up in the middle of the night and said we were going to a walk. I tagged along and found out what great fun it was. Lots of the people had left their washing on the line over night and we switched every ones clothes. That was some good innocent fun I tell ya!


7. I loved taking the dogs on really long walks with my folks. It was so peaceful and fun and I always remember it.


8. This one was from when I was slightly older but I loved, loved, loved going shopping with my mum. I didn't care what we were going for I just loved it.


9. Ours was the house where all the kids would go. My parents never cared if I showed up 3 minutes before dinner asking if someone could stay they always had plenty for all of us. I hope my house will always be that place for Lily and her sister.

10. My sister was often given the job of reading me a bed time story. Sometimes she would make them up instead of reading them and Sally has always made up the best story. One night she told one that was so funny, I still remember it and we laughed so hard that we ended up getting into trouble because we were supposed to be going to sleep. Her storys were the best.


6 comments:

M and M said...

I never pegged your for a motorcycle girl!!

Great memories!

Polar Bear said...

What FUN stories! I just love the van story. That made me laugh out loud.

Andie said...

You'd better hope that Lily doesn't get up to the things you did!

Emmie said...

What great memories and stories! Loved number 4..too funny!

Nikki said...

Dawn, you really did have a wonderful childhood...loved all your memories.
Switching people's laundry? Motorcycling? Taking your van for a joyride? You were a wild child!

And for the record, I'm quite sure your house WILL BE the place where all the kids wanna be.

crazylady said...

I'm so glad I started this meme. Saves me so much time in snoopage.
:)
Merry Christmas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails