26 Apr 2007

Take Your Children To Work Day

Since today was take your 'children to work day', that is exactly what Jacob did. Lily has been to work with me on numerous occasions and as much as she gets the biggest kick out of it, it cannot hold a candle to going to work with Daddy.

American Airlines requires all the children that participate in this event to be at least 5 yrs old but Jacob pleaded his case and got approval to take Lily and then he got all the necessary clearances for her to be at the airport behind the scenes. Since he couldn't possibly take Lily to work with him he scheduled a day off, volunteered as a team leader and went to work in that position instead but Shhhh, don't tell Lily cos she really thought he was working.

I made her a little American Airlines uniform complete with fake ID and we were so excited about it until I casually mentioned to her teacher that she would be absent on this day because she was going to work with her Daddy. The teacher quickly informed me that she was not eligible for that as the only grades that get to participate are 3-5. She went on to say that Lily would have to have an unexcused absence. I nearly fell over, this is a national programme for heavens sake! So I looked at her and said very cheerfully, that's fine we'll take and absence and we did.! (mind you the school called me in person to why she was not there and I explained that I had sent a note, blah blah blah. They were not happy and then this evening the principal called as well. Frankly, I have seen how many kids miss class and I am not at all bothered. Once she hits Kindergarten she will not miss school but this is Pre-K and we pay for her to go to this school.

So without further ado meet the newest American Airline employee


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Driving The Tractor

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Zoinks, Sitting In The Engine

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


In The Belly, waiting for bags

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


In The Blanket Closet. (I'm sure that's not what it is called but you get the idea)

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Looking Very Small

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Next time you take to the friendly skies you might want to stop and wonder who is flying your plane!

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Flying Jump Seat

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Lunch

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Linda, the CSM with Jacob and Lily

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


George Hazy, VP MIA operations with Jacob, Lily and Amanda

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos




Jacob took close to 100 photos today and these are a few of my favourites. She had a wonderful time and fell asleep in the car from all the hard work. I cannot tell you how much I wanted to go. Not just to see her reaction but to be able to see everything she saw today. The airport has such tight security that she got see the stuff that we don't. Judging by the way the world is going I am not sure if they will continue to allow kids to go there and that is why we were adamant that she not miss this chance.


19 comments:

M and M said...

That is amazing! I would LOVE to go behind the scenes of the airport. That would be cool.

I can't believe that school gave you grief about Lily having a unique learning opportunity!

Emmie said...

**Love, Love, Love the pictures as well!

Emmie said...

Oh my word that looks so fun! It looks like she saw, and got to do a lot of neat things! I love her outfit and little ID as well.

I can't believe the teacher and other administratives gave you a hard time about Lily missing one day for something special! Kids in MIDDLE SCHOOL miss days all the time (and just sleep in) just for not feeling well, doing something else fun or exctinig, or just to take a down day.

PIPO said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! What a great experience for Ms. Lily.

The school? A big, fat and oh-so-mature raspberry to them!

Polar Bear said...

I can't see the pictures. :( I'll check back later.

That is unbelievable how the school gave you such a hard time. Especially for Pre-K.

aimeeg said...

So incredibly cool! It looks like they had a wonderful day together!

And forget the school thing--we have kids miss to go to Disneyworld almost constantly, and for a million other things that aren't nearly as cool as this.

Dannye said...

that looks like loads of fun, and what a lucky gal to be able to do all those great things, especially with such a great daddy!!

tundrachica said...

Love the pictures and what a great experience for Lily to see all that fun stuff. Did she get to catch a ride on the baggage carousel?

As for an unexcused absence...Hmmm...I'm most positive that these types of absences in PreK are not so closely looked at by universities when she begins her filling out her college applications. What a bunch of not-so-fun people.

Kris said...

How awesome is that! What great quality time for the 2 of them as well. Makes me look forward to things I'd never really thought about... taking my girl to work!! So much fun.

Special K said...

Oh my gosh! Will you and Jacob be MY mom (err... I mean MUM) and dad! You're the coolest parents EVER!!

Lily is a lucky girl to have you two in her corner. What fun!

3D said...

That is so awesome! What a wonderful day and special time with Daddy.

Silly school...this was WAY more educational!

Keep smilin!

Beth said...

What a wonderful opportunity. I completely agree with your decision. I am a little shocked the school gave you such a hard time. She learned way more that day than her classmates in school.

By the way she a cutie.

Beth
LID 4/19/06

redmaryjanes said...

That is so wonderful! I love to see fathers and daughters having great days together! You did a great job with her outfit.

simply t said...

How wonderful for her to get to participate. That looks like a great little "field trip" for all students.

Love the matching uniforms!

Patricia/NYC said...

What a great day!! I just LOVE the photo of Lily "flying" the plane!!

Speaking as a teacher...you can't get a better educational experience than THIS!! Way to go for taking that "absence"!

Patricia/NYC
Lucky momma to a sweetie from Hubei

Nikki said...

OK Dawn, you know by now how much I absolutely adore your family, and how much I look forward to reading all about your adventures. But, this one takes the cake!
First, you made her a uniform and an ID badge and fought "the system" to get her a stinkin' day off school.
Then, Jacob took a day off and volunteered so that Lily could go and get the feel for her daddy's job.
I just think you all ROCK!!!!!
Looks like Lily had a blast. I am so glad. (sorry you weren't able to be there, but at least you have a ton of pictures.)

Kathy and Joel said...

So amazing!!!! I love that this day happened for her and I'm so happy that she had such an experience. VERY cool!!

Ann said...

She looks like she had a great time at work with her Daddy. I can't believe the school had a fit over that

La-La-Liene said...

It looks like Lily had such a good time. BTW, found your blog by reading Krista's (A Million Miles to Mia). We're in the military and my husband flies C-130J's and Eriks, our 3 yr old gets so excited when he gets the opportunity to get on board one. He expects daddy to power up and fly him somewhere!! Our son loves to fly! In his 3 short years already has flown more than 3 dozen times and would fly every day if he could.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails