12 Mar 2007

Whose Idea Was This


I am not a happy camper people. Who had this bright idea to change the clocks a month early? I understand for those of you living in a cold and dreary climate who are loving the fact that you now have some daylight but I don't like it. I love the nights when it is dark by 7 and the temps are getting cooler. Since we don't really have seasons here I suppose the dark evenings at least con my body into thinking it is winter.

Last night we suffered the same dose of reality shared by all parents in this country, a little voice saying, are you sure it is my bedtime it is still sunny outside. Lily has some serious blackout shades in her room for this time of year but they don't cover the whole house. We even let her stay up a little later than usual. She didn't make a fuss and she went to bed with her usual readiness.

However this morning as the alarm clock sang its chirpy little brains out at 6.30 this morning I wanted to chuck it at the wall or out of the window. It was pitch black outside. I don't do mornings when it is bright and sunny so how I am I expected to function in the dark....huh? Then I realised that Lily was still fast asleep, but I expected it after something that happened after she went to bed but more on that in a seccy. I let her go as long as possible then I went in to wake her up. She groaned and looked at me through very sleepy eyes and said, mummy, its the middle of the night I haven't had any sleep yet why are you waking me up? That killed me, I hated to force her up but the school department probably couldn't care less. She got up and I carried her downstairs where she instantly woke up and was her normal Lily self.

Can't we just leave the clocks alone and let nature take its course. It naturally gets lighter later in the evening anyway why do we have to screw with things? EEKKK here comes the hot summer weather........barfola.

The thing that happened last night to Lily unfolded like this: we had put her to bed and read her story and Jacob was watching the telly and I was blogging when we heard her crying and I mean really crying. We calmly walked upstairs (that is code for took the stairs 2 at a time in my case and 3 at a time in Jacobs case) and walked calmly ( again more code for ran as fast as we could) into her room. She was sitting in her bed wailing that Bunny was tied to her finger. When she goes to sleep she plays with Bunny's' ears and they are now getting threadbare. One of the threads had wrapped around her little pinky and was making her finger BLUE, I am not kidding about the blue part. We have no idea how long she had been like that before she panicked but it must have been a while. Jacob hit panic mode and I stayed calm. This a reversal of all things normal in our lives but I am really calm under pressure, him not so much because it was Lily. I carried her to the bathroom where Jacob is brandishing a pair of big scissors and she is screaming. I pick up a little pair of nail scissors and try to unwind Bunny but she was crying so hard. I finally got it unwound enough that I had room to maneuver the scissors and cut it off! We comforted her for a while and put her to bed in our bed but she still didn't go to sleep until after 9pm which is late for her. This added to the mornings sleepys. Her finger is of course just fine and Bunny is missing a few threads but that serves him right.

13 comments:

simply t said...

I love that it gets darker later! I hate losing an hour sleep though.

I heard of a little boy that got a hair in his diaper and it wrapped around his thingy and he started crying, the parents couldn't figure out the problem so they took him to the ER, where they discovered a very blue, swollen thingy. Sounds like threads and hair can do some damage!

Beckyb said...

Yep - I hate this time change too - I am a winter fan so I think it stinks - and it messes with our nice sleeping schedule too - these little ones don't adjust very well!!!

Chloe took a Dora ornament to bed with her once and she must have put the hanger around her wrist - we had much the same thing - although she didn't cry - we just went in to check on her before we went to bed - I call that a "God" thing!!! I hear you, very scary!!

Buckeyes & Eggrolls said...

I actually have to say that I'm half and half on the clock changes. I love that it stays lighter in the evenings longer but I HATE that it's now back to being dark at 7am. I had a hard time getting motivated this morning!

3D said...

It is hard to adapt but sounds like some drama happening at your place. Hope there are no blue fingers and lots of smiles!

(I don't mind the time change...light for us Northerners when we get up!)

Keep smilin!

Nikki said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds like a big scare! I am so glad Lily and her finger are alright! (Way to stay calm under pressure, Dawn!)

As for the time change, you have no pity from me! Sorry. But you know how I feel.
XOXOXO

Polar Bear said...

Ohhh! That had to be scary for Lily. Glad pinky is ok.

I like the dark early nights, but I am much more productive when the sun is still out. I am going to have to remember blackout shades for the nursery. Good tip!

M and M said...

What a scary time for Lily! I am glad that everything worked out o.k. without any permanent damage!

It was a tough one to get up this morning, but I tell you, my day at work FLEW by today!!

Emmie said...

I hate loosing sleep as well. I already am always exhausted and don;t get enough sleep and now and down by another hour.

That's scary what happended to Lily. Glad she was OK and nothing was serious. I've had that happen before too. It really does hurt!!

aimeeg said...

I'm totally with you on the barfola for hot summer weather! Bleh!

PIPO said...

So sorry about attack bunny! Bad bunny! Glad that finger has survived and was only blue for a little while.

Sorry, can't feel your pain on the DST issue. Me LURVES leaving the office in the daylight on occasion. Woohoo to me...it fools me into thinking I actually have a life outside of work ;0)

Dannye said...

Poor Lily, did she give Bunny a good stern talking to for tying himself to her finger like that and causing her the blues??

I too say we hunt down the clock changer and give him a stern beating, I mean talking to!!!

Ann said...

I so hated this "early" time change. I hate mornings too and this week I've been particulary tired. I still don't get the whole changing of the time thing either. It's already into the 80's here. It's going to be a scorcher of a summer. I'm glad Lily's pinky is okay. could you imagine if she'd slept all night like that, yikes!!

Steffie B. said...

yes the time change is a pian. Poor Daniel is wondering why he has to go to bed when it's light out. He's cried the last two nights! Sigh.....Sophia goes to be around 8:30 so it hasn't been a problem.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails