15 Feb 2007

Feeling The Love

If yesterdays post seemed a little harsh perhaps this will clarify where I am coming from. If you need a special day in your year to profess your love then I think you have forgotten the plot.

Four years ago my best friend died. Nancy was truly a best friend. Her and I spent many years together and she taught me a lot but more than anything she taught me a lot about the small things in life and taking the time to appreciate them. She always took the time to smile and to say hi....to everyone. We called each other every single morning and fixed the world but one morning when I rang something wasn't right and I asked what was wrong and she said she had a lump in her neck. I told her very matter of factly to go to the DR. She didn't for a while cos she didn't have insurance and was waiting for it to kick in. To make a long story short, it was cancer, stage 4 when it was diagnosed. It was a long and very, very ugly battle. At one point it looked like she had beaten the odds but that joy was was short lived.She had an elderly mother but no other immediate family. Some cousins, one whom I love dearly the other I call the Rottweiler. Her mother was becoming senile so that left Jakey, Nanc' and I to take this on together and we made a hell of a team. We went to all her appointments together, when the chemo and radiation got to much she stayed with us. Jacob, who thought this woman was a nutcase friend of mine when he met her for the first time, did everything for her when I was at work. She fought tooth and nail cos she didn't think she could possibly die. She fought like hell cos she wanted to be Lily's auntie and we wanted it so badly. She was in denial so badly it sucked and made our lives hell. She kept smiling and always said, I love you dolly and that handsome husband of yours.
The hospital staff probably thought we were gay cos I was always laying in her bed with her. I would bathe her and change her when the nurses took to long. I am not sure they could figure out Jacobs role in the equation to begin with so we played it up to confuse them. I was her next of kin and health care proxy. Jacob would visit by himself and get on the bed too. I didn't care I loved this person and so did he.
She lived life to the fullest: pool boys and yardmen got hired for their looks!
In the end we pleaded with her to say goodbye. We had done everything we could. We made sure her mum was taken care of and I had spoken to her nice cousin and we knew it wouldn't be long but I wasn't expecting the phone call that I received. The nursing home called to say her mother had passed away and within the hour while we were at the nursing home the hospital called to say Nancy was gone too. She needed her mum to lead the way. Now that is love!

I miss her, we miss her and Lily never met her. I do not cry for her because the memories are so good. We talk about her all the time and it is always with a smile.


If you have someone so special in your life you are truly, truly lucky, but make sure you tell them how you feel and not just on Valentines day. We always did and I learnt to never miss an opportunity to do so because of Dolly.

14 comments:

3D said...

You are making me cry at work! That is a beautiful story and I am so happy for you to have had that friendship in your life.

Your words ring true and we should not take those who we love for granted. Always tell them you love them...you can never hear it enough.

Keep smilin!

Beckyb said...

I didn't think yesterday's sounded harsh at all - I agree - we need to be telling people we love them EVERYDAY not just one day a year!!!

aimeeg said...

I'm so glad you had such an incredible friendship with Nancy, and were able to learn so much from her. Thanks for sharing this beautiful and emotional story with all of us.

Special K said...

That was an amazing story. You were very blessed to have someone else on this earth who loved you and understood you the way she did. I'm sorry you lost her... but she's always with you in your heart.

colin said...

I agree dawn.all you need is love.Daily.love bruvx

Andie said...

You even made me cry, and that takes some doing! Jacob remembers my funniest memory of Nancy, it was to do with her underwear and it still makes me laugh.
I often think it's only when you lose someone you love that you really learn to appreciate all the little things in life.

Kathy and Joel said...

If that is the only friendship you will experience for the rest of your life, you are better off than most other people. What you had with Nancy is a kindred kind of friendship that not too many people get the chance to feel.
I am so terribly sorry that your time together here was cut short. I am in awe of your bravery to post something so close to your heart.

Rhonda said...

Beautiful, heartfelt post.

You and Nancy were incredibly lucky to have each other, even if it was for a short time.

redmaryjanes said...

Love never dies.

Nikki said...

OK, I am trying to get a grip over here, but I can't seem to stop crying. I know what that kind of friendship is like -- I just wrote about it in my post (about my sis).

I agree, love like that is to be treasured DAILY...thank you so much for sharing your heart.

Stephe said...

I'm crying too! Sounds like she was the best of the best! (and still is!) Big Hugs!

Steffie B. said...

I didn't think yesterdays post was harsh.....but I agree that we should tell our loved ones how much we adore them everyday! ;)

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

Dawn: Big time chills lady!! Friendship like that should be treasured everyday and it lives on in your family every day. You and Jacob are wonderful loving people.

Much love,
Lori

Polar Bear said...

How lucky to have such a friendship.

Thank you for sharing this post. You are so right about taking every day as a special day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails