22 Feb 2012

Someone just shoot me now.

As most of you know I am a bit of a clean freak and a germaphobe. One of my all time fears is bugs in my house or on the kids. Yesterday Lily came out of school wagging a paper in her hand. It was the dreaded letter:

Dear Parents or Guardians.

There has been a case of head lice in your childs class. Blah blah blah.

Oh dear God, I nearly threw up. Lily told me that she was inspected and is clear of them. I threw the kids in the car and raced home and leapt onto the computer to see what I could find out. There was loads of information and there are even services that come to your house and get rid of them not only from your head but also your mattresses, carpets, pillows, stuffed toys, sofas, etc etc. I bookmarked one such company just in case.

Just as the kids were asking for snacks I threw them back in the car and headed out to buy shampoo that contained either tea tree oil, coconut or rosemary as head lice do not like the smell off any of those. Once we returned home I inspected both kids heads for the 90th time. I'm surprised by this point that their little scalps weren't bleeding from all my probing. I tried umpteen different hair doos on them to see which would keep their hair up and stay that way the longest.

This morning I sent them out the door with their hair slicked into place with gel.......I read that that keeps them at bay also.

One of the little girls in Lily's class that had them has been very mean to Lily on many occasions but with her typical compassion she said she felt so badly for her as she was crying and one teacher wasn't very nice to her and the kids were making fun of her. It was handled very poorly by the administration. She even said that when she comes back to school she will make an effort to be extra nice to her but I wasn't to worry she wouldn't let their heads touch! LOL

I knew we were beating the odds. Lily has been going to school for 6+ years and so far so good. Hopefully neither one will get them cos if they do I might just go off of the deep end.

I did finally give them snacks.

6 comments:

val said...

There's only one word for them.......UCK!

val said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
val said...

One more try.....hope all your precautions work!

Catherine said...

Ugh! Not fun at all! Glad your girls are clear. Great tips about the shampoos. This is one of the things I dread about Hannah going to school!

On a side note, I had our blog for 2010 published into a book by Blogs2Print and am very happy with it! Will use them again next time for sure.

Vivian M said...

I so understand where you are coming from. Been there, done that! Keeping my fingers crossed that your girls and home are lice free. We use products from this line: http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com/
They are awesome, all natural and we have never had a recurrence since we started using them!

Tammie said...

The products you purchase should work just fine. I bought peppermint hairspray for Erin. She loved it. The lice? Not so much. :-)

I am so proud of Lily for showing compassion to the little girl even though the girl in question hasn't been so nice to Lily. Perhaps the girl will learn to treat others with compassion.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails