28 Jan 2012

We tried to like it

One of my local adoption groups posted about a new Chinese New Year celebration in town. It sounded terrific. Considering how multi-cultural Miami is we have very little for CNY.

This afternoon I threw the girlies into the car and headed to the festival. Some friends called and asked if we wanted to go bowling but I told them we were heading to the festival. Jenny thought it sounded fabulous and decided they would meet us there. Let me just say that I tonight I surprised she is still talking to me.

Now in all fairness I think it is wonderful that someone stepped up to do something positive for CNY and I mean that with all sincerity. As we approached the streets where the festival was taking place we saw policemen directing traffic as the street was closed. In my head this was a good thing as it meant there was a lot happening and the cars were prohibited from driving through the area. In reality that is what they were doing but the festival consisted of 5 little tables selling cr*p and a bounce house. Alrighty then. It was at least 8000 degrees this afternoon and the world and his brother were crammed into this tiny little area. At the end of the 5 tables was an open area where some chap, not Chinese, started pounding one of those enormous drums. With every beat the crowd was jolted backwards and forwards. When he was done, at least I think he was done but I can't be sure as my eardrums are still pounding a dragon dance broke out. The dragon dancers were very good.




There was a craft table set up near the bounce house so Rosie made a mask and they both were given fans



I finally managed to find Jenny and we made a fast exit and headed for the park.

This photo just makes me giggle. I think she is saying, " if you think I am going to smile for your photo after you dragged us to that stinkin' festival you are wrong"
Evan needed to just chill for a few minutes. I love his gappy smile.
Happy girl
Fake smiles but I love the shot.
cutie.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Sorry your day didn't start out the way you wanted. Hopefully this 'festival' will catch on and improve with age. Every opportunity we can give our girls to enjoy some of their heritage is a good thing.

Looks like you made the best of an unfortunate situation though and had fun at the park!

Life frome where we are said...

At least they were still smiling!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails