18 Nov 2011

Gone

My sister and her husband left today. I feel really sad.

My sister and I haven't always got along as we do now. In fact for quite a few years I was nothing but an annoying little sister to her. She was "forced" to take care of me and "forced" to have me tag a long with her so this made anything but desirable in her eyes. Once we both grew up things changed and I love spending time with her and her with me. We are often struck by the similarities that we share. Just today we were standing talking when we realised that we were both standing the exact same way with our hands and arms in the exact same position, the only difference is we mirror each other as I am a lefty and she a righty.

I am also incredibly lucky in her choice of husbands. Mad Uncle Andy as he has now become is just a great chap. By the time he met Sally, Lily was already part of our lives so he inherited her right off the bat and then later on Rosie. He was very quiet in the beginning but as we all got to know each other he is just as mental as my sister. The girls are really lucky to have such a great aunty and uncle.

We realised today that after all the time we have spent together we didn't have any photos of the four of us together so right before they left for the airport we rectified the situation.

What a motley looking crew

Sally and I


Initially Andy thought that their plane left at 3pm. This was a dreadful idea as it meant the girls wouldn't see them after they left for school in the morning. Turns out it left at 6...duh! I did the unthinkable and pulled Lily out of school at 1.30. (I know it is ridiculous but she has had a substitute all week and one day the lady didn't speak English and taught the Language Arts lesson in Spanish...hello?? So I really didn't think she would miss to much!) Once I had Lily I raced around the corner and picked up Rosie at her normal time and we came home, got changed and headed to the airport to say goodbye. Why are good byes so hard?
Clinging
Faking the smiles
Not faking it anymore
Hot mess!


We had such a great time with my sister and BIL. I can't believe they have gone. It was so hard to say goodbye. By tomorrow it won't hurt so much......I hope.

4 comments:

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Sisters! Looks like a great visit!

Life frome where we are said...

I feel for you.....in fact I need to go get a tissue!

Vivian M said...

Sending you a huge hug! Just think how wonderful the next reunion will be. It's hard to be far from those we love (talking from experience here) but it really makes us appreciate everyone that much more.
Can you guys Skype? That might make it easier for Rosie.

Jessie said...

Hugs Dawn! I am glad Sally and Andy got to visit with you - I know you will cherish those moments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails