20 Sept 2011

Charity begins at home.

I try very hard to make the girls understand that there are many people in this world who are a lot less fortunate than we are. Lily has always grasped this concept but Rosie is a slow learner when it comes to helping others. Don't get me wrong she is more than willing to give her things to people that we know but utter strangers, Heaven Forbid!
The girls have to wear a uniform to school, (I love that) but every so often they can wear jeans and their uniform shirts but they have to pay $1 to do so. The money goes to the PTSA and is used as they see fit. Lily does not care to wear jeans ever so she often doesn't participate, especially in the hot months. Rosie on the other hand thinks dresses and skirts are ghastly and loves to wear shorts and jeans.
Last Friday was a "Jeans Day". I asked the girls at dinner on Thursday evening if they wanted to wear jeans. Lily said she would and Rosie agreed. I then explained that she had to pay $1 to wear them. This is how the conversation unfolded from there.

Rosie: a dollar of my money?
Me: No, I'll give you the dollar to take to school.
Rosie: But they are my jeans so they should pay me to wear them
Me:..................I was speechless.

Smart kid this one and anything but charitable. Funny as all heck though.

3 comments:

Life frome where we are said...

She's funny.....but she does have a good point!!

Anonymous said...

LOL

Sofia said...

So adorable!!!!! My little girl just loves to give.... She brings her money to Walmart and deposits $1 into the little boxes by the cash registers for Joe DiMaggio... I just giggle at the sight of it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails