25 Nov 2010

A Day To Be Thankful.

Neither Jacob nor myself have any extended family here in Miami but our close friends have become our chosen family, and we were all together under one roof celebrating today.

We invited our friends to join us and even though they all know that I am no chef they still accepted the offer. As the numbers kept climbing I was getting panicky. How on earth does one cook for 14 people? I now know the answer, you google every single question that you have and then email your friend Viv who is a master Chef.

I pulled it off and we all sat down to a feast fit for a king.

My favourite part of the day was sharing it with Pammie, Armando and their son Adam and his girlfriend. Pam was the first person I met when I moved here 25 yrs ago. It has been many years since we all sat down at the same table and it was fantastic. Truly something to give thanks for. My friend Jakie and her girls also shared the day with us. I don't think I have ever had a Thanksgiving that was quite so special.

When I was busy in the kitchen the girls made napkin holders out of paper towel rolls and little turkeys. (we don't fool around with little scissors in this house)




After many hours of prepping and cooking we were ready to serve.






Hmm, I have just realised that certain people dodged the camera

Our menu was: Roasted turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, gravy, green beans with almonds, Beaumont Inn corn pudding, Hawaiian Sweet potatoes with oranges and pineapple, roasted brussel sprouts with garlic and ham, mashed potatoes and of course dinner rolls. It was wonderful. Jakie and Pammie brought dessert and it was heavenly.

Young love....Adam and Alina


Every year the we take the girls for a walk on Thanksgiving day and collect pine cones with them. Not sure what pine cones have to do with Thanksgiving but it has become a tradition. This year we were minus Jacob as he had to leave and go to work.

W had a "berry" good walk.









Lily showing off her acorns


When we came home the girls tucked into their G*diva chocolate turkeys.



Now my girls are in bed and I am reflecting and giving thanks for my wonderful life.

Is anyone else appalled at how many businesses are open today?

5 comments:

Tammie said...

Okay. So for someone who doesn't know what to do in a kitchen, you sure made a lovely feast. Your table looks lovely, & the napkin holders by Lily & Rosie are awfully sweet.

BTW, how do I get my own Godiva turkey? MMMMmmmm . . .

Robin said...

I loved looking at all your photos from today. I cannot believe how big the girls are getting! Seriously!!
Godiva Turkeys?! I've never heard of such of thing but I bet they were extra YUMMY.
And yes.. I am totally appalled by the stores that were open today. What's the sense of Black Friday if you can go to the stores today. My daughter had to work at old navy and she said it was busy in the morning but by noon, it was deader than a doorknob. They let her come home early.!

pam said...

It was truly our pleasure today to spend the day with the Copes and a new friend Jakie and her beautiful daughters.I now wish that those that say they can't cook, cook like Dawn. This is the first time in 21 years my son finally tasted Turkey and he now loves it. Thanks for the great food and company and a Thanksgving I will remember forever. Pam & family
PS tell the girls Alina fell in love with them.

Vivian M said...

Dawn, you are a way better cook than you give yourself credit for. Your Thanksgiving feast looked divine! And by the comments, it sounds like it was very yummy. Bravo!
And I am no master chef. My Dad is a chef. I just cook. By the looks of it, I may need to take some lessons from you! :o)

Anonymous said...

Hmm just read this part of your blog and I am hungry. Trouble is I think a sandwich is on my menu as the dishwasher decided to break yeatersay along with the grill in my oven. Happy days. Love you Sally x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails