16 Sept 2010

Making Lemonade

I am continuing my quest to have the synonyms the word orphan changed at www.thesaurus.com. I have contacted as many groups and people as I can think of and will continue to do so. Our adoption community is a powerful group and we pull together. We can and will make a difference. Sadly more and more people keep contacting me with different websites and many of them have similar synonyms so this is going to be a long crusade but I know we can make a difference.

Adoptive Families Magasine is going to run the article in their November December issue under the Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down segment and is going to urge their readers to contact Thesaurus.com.

Lily has gone from feeling down trodden and belittled to feeling empowered and this is what I wanted for her.

Our children should never feel belittled because of their humble beginnings. No one should. Surely if you have been orphaned in your life you have suffered more than enough pain.

If you haven't sent a letter of complaint to thesaurus.com go to the highlighted link at the top of this post and scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it says contact us and please do contact them.

Sadly, I am still waiting for Lily's school to contact me....sigh. I do not blame her teacher but I would like them to be aware of what is happening. I have sent a letter and made phone calls.

"Be the change that you want to see in the world."
Ghandi.



7 comments:

Briana's Mom said...

I am catching up on blog reading and just came across your posts. Oh my gosh. My heart just fell. I am going to send a complaint letter - for sure! I am so glad Lily is feeling empowered now. Hopefully we can get the thesaurus changed before Bri gets this as a spelling word.

Polar Bear said...

This really made me sad for Lily when I read it yesterday. Thank you for informing us. Hopefully Thesaurus will change the synonyms as soon as possible.

Polar Bear said...

I forgot the PS. :o)

Ps. I sent a letter today! I wrote:

As a teacher I have used Thesaurus.com often, and I teach my students to use it as a valuable resource.

Recently the synonyms used for the word ophan have been brought to my attention. I am saddened by the choice of words used as synonyms for this word.

My son was an orphan for the first 13 months of his life. He was NEVER a beggar, waif, bum, ragamuffin, street person, or any of several synonyms listed on your site. How would I explain these words to my son?

Please, please, please change several of the synonyms you have chosen for the word orphan. It will be difficult enough to explain to my son about his beginning. I don't want him to ever feel that he was a beggar, bum or a ragamuffin.

Thank you for your cooperation with this matter

Sincerely,

Special K said...

You go girl!

Tammie said...

Thank you so much for alerting us to this horrible inaccuracy Dawn. As I read about Lily's homework assignment, I was positive that there was some kind of misunderstanding. Then I went to the website & pulled it myself. And the tears just started pouring down my face. I read it to David who feels the same way. d

As soon as I could pull myself together, I wrote to them in the "contact us" section. I truly believe that the best advocate for our children are the parents. I'm glad to know we all believe in standing up for them & telling the world when the world is wrong.

Maci Miller said...

Ah..my favorite quote is that one from Ghandi. Good for you for taking action. Good for Lily to feel empowered! You're a great mom, Dawn and a great lady! Will continue to spread the word to whoever I can. :-)

Vivian M said...

I think I was the first to respond on FB and send a complaint letter. No need for me to repeat here everything I already posted on your FB note. But I did forget to say one thing:
Lily's Mommy rocks!!!!
:o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails