16 Aug 2010

They are called Maniacs for a reason.

Saturday morning we hopped into the car and headed north to Maine. I really do love that part of the country and think I could live there....in the summer! The winters would kill me. I would have Dom's oil truck parked outside my house on a weekly basis meeting my demand. This time around the weather was perfect, just perfect.
After a brief stop in Freeport we headed here:


Jacob spent every summer as a lad at this very spot and being able to bring the girls here is really wonderful. Cousin Joan now lives here in her family home with her father, Jacob's Uncle Bill and nothing has changed at all, not one thing. Well they have all grown older and moved away and the dock has blown away a few times and been rebuilt but other that than that it remains unchanged. It is the closest you can get to heaven while still being here on earth. Now our girls get to experience it to.
I think photos will be enough to show how we spent the day as words really are redundant.

This is the dock leading from the back of the house down to the water and this is where we spent our time.

Rosie getting warmed up
Rosie Kayaking
Lily Kayaking

She went in!Loving life

The view out in to Cascoe Bay
Rosie sitting on the floating part of the dock. They all got their faces painted in Freeport


I mentioned that the weather was perfect, well that doesn't mean that the water temperature was. It was a frigid 68 degrees. Our water here is 88 degrees at his time of year. Lily wanted to swim with Joan and when Joan dove in Lily followed....it was the shortest swim in the history of swimming!

She did then get back in and swam all the way to shore with Joan!!! I was impressed. She took a noodle but even so it was freezing!
Crazy Maniacs
Lily and Joan on the rocks there..somewhere
That is how far they went
Other nut jobs in that cold water!

Of course when Rosie saw Lily swimming she wanted to get in which meant one of us had to brave the water. Hell it was not going to be me!

I think he nearly had a heart attack!

We had such a lovely day. Joan thank you so much.
Joan shared some of her beach treasures with the girls before they left and they are so happy with them and carry their little boxes so carefully. Something to treasure always and remind them of you.
Joan, did you have to tell Lily that you think she needs a Kayak of her very own! Oddly enough it is something that Jacob and I have been talking about getting for ages now.
Oh if you are wondering what Jacob has on his face....wonder no more!
It's a Maine Lobstah, they're wicked good!

4 comments:

Love Letters To China said...

Oh my that video is hysterical! I have to hand it to Lily, Jacob and Rosie for jumping in that frigid water. There is no way I would ever go in water that cold. I have to heat our pool in the winter to at least 86 before I put my toes into it. So glad you're last vacation of the summer has gone so well.

I wish we could have gotten together. Maybe one of these days we'll be able to get the girls and Liam together.

Vivian M said...

Oohhh have a Lobstah for me!!!

And what are you talking about, 68 degrees is wonderful! For us Northeners, anyway.

Maci Miller said...

How cute that Jacob got in on the face painting fun! Looks like a great trip! I love that you are always taking the kids on some wonderful adventure...whether near or far!

Alyson and Ford said...

Yes, that water is COLD!! So much fun, so glad you enjoyed your trip (I am from Maine and my family still lives in the greater Portland/Freeport/Bath areas).
Loved reading about your stop at cousin Joan's!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails