5 Dec 2009

The Timer Is Set.

We put up our tree this morning and now we fear it is just a matter of time until a certain little girl destroys it. When we first decorated it and turned on the lights she stood back and with very wide eyes she announced, "it's so pretty, thank you." It was one of those moments where your hearts skips a beat. We let the girls do most of the decorating but Rosie found it rather challenging and enjoyed looking at and touching all the ornaments much more. Quite a few times she dropped or manhandled some of my "special" ones but so far none have gone to meet their maker.

Lily just admires it from a distance and occasionally touches one or two of her favourites but Rosie needs to touch them all and investigate their colour and sparkle. The fragile ones are all up high and are safe, I think. I refuse to tell either of them that it is off limits as it would be just totally unfair and quite frankly no fun whatsoever for them. This is their house too and this is their tree.

I am not a very sentimental person when it comes to stuff, the less stuff around the better but for some reason Christmas ornaments grab my heart. I think I can tell you where every single one is from and or why we bought it. Each year we buy at least one to represent something that has happened throughout the year. This year we found one in the Bahamas from our cruise with friends and also one from Maine this summer. Not sure why these 2 particular ones made the grade but they did and now they will hang every year on our tree, unless Rosie intervenes.

I think I have a Santa fetish. I know it sounds a little naughty doesn't it but I noticed today that most of the ornaments on the tree are of Santa. I think from now on that is all I will buy. If it isn't Santa from now on it won't get hung!

Here are some of my favourites and they aren't all the Ho Ho Man.


I found this one in China last year at a "Gift From China", I love it. I checked their website this year to see if they had a different one but they haven't.


I call this one my "Gay Pride Santa" and he honours my brother. Love him too.


This is "Boris". Is it odd that I name them or give them meanings? Just makes my tree more special to me. Boris and I go back years.


Cousin Andie bought this one for us when we were in Key West together. This year it is front and centre as she is in Afghanistan.....again.


This is my Mummy. I bought this the day after she died. She died very suddenly 4 years ago at Christmas and I flew home to the UK and saw this in a shop and it made me think of her. Elegant, graceful and feminine.



This is a terrible photo but I love this Santa moon with the little child sitting on it. It represents Lily and my Mum gave it to me.


This little chap is so old. I had him when I was a kid and he used to be swinging on a Star Of David. His Star broke a kazillion years ago so I perch him on a branch now. My grandma gave him to me and he is really really special to me. I actually bought him over from the UK with me, that's how much he means to me. When his star broke I was devastated.


Finally this was Rosie's excited little face when she saw the tree getting put up. No lights no decorations, just the tree.


The tree has survived it's first day with the human wrecking ball. She is so excited this year it really is lovely. Tonight I took them out to see all the Christmas lights in the neighbourhood and they were both shrieking with delight. Rosie was so very happy to see all the lights outside of her own house and clasped her hands together and said, "pretty".

5 comments:

Love Letters To China said...

I love your ornaments and all the special memories behind each and every one. I'm surprised my little one hasn't knocked our tree over yet. He has been shockingly good about the whole thing. His big sister actually has a harder time not removing all of "her" ornaments and placing them in her room. I need to bring the kids outside for a stroll around our neighborhood too. I'm sure that would be lots of fun to see their faces.

Vivian M said...

We put all the special ornaments out of reach, especially since a certain little one climbs up on chairs now. So far, so good, and it helps that the tree is over 7 feet tall, lol!

Tammie said...

I love your Christmas tree! The ornaments are all so beautiful. Yes, you do have a fetish for a certain guy dressed in red. Then again, it seems to me that the guy does bring about a certain magic during this time of year.

I love how excited Rosie looks at her tree being put up. One would think this is all being done for her personal enjoyment!

Happy Christmas!

Dawn S. said...

My sister always had a second tree that the kids could decorate with their own ornaments and things that they had made at school. I understand being sentimental over ornaments...In fact we only have the lights on so far this year!! I am too nervous with my little toddling toddler! :) Blessings!

Lisa (Briana's Mom) said...

I love all your beautiful ornaments! I'm the same way about my ornaments. Each one tells a story.

Love Rosie's adorable face looking at the tree!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails