18 Dec 2009

Sugary Treats Abound.

At this time of year there are sugary temptations everywhere and most kids get more candy, cookies and sweeties than at any other time of the year with the exception of Halloween. It is a delightful time to be a child that is of course unless you are Rosie cos she couldn't care less about anything sweet and fattening she would much rather eat apples, strawberries and carrots.

I'm pretty sure I am one a only a handful of parents that actually tries to get my kid to eat fattening foods. I glop butter or olive oil all over her pasta, I grate cheese on everything I can think of. I get so happy when she actually dips her veggies in salad dressing or better yet actually dips her strawberries in melted chocolate. The kid is a twig. I can count her ribs and it is quite easy on her due to her little deformity, her bum is barely their albeit beefier than it has ever been. She is going to be 3 at the beginning of February and as of this mornings visit to the gastroenterologist these are her stats:

Height: 37 inches
Weight: 25.4lbs
She is small. She has dropped back to the 3rd percentile for weight. She is doing quite well in the height department and is holding her own at the 50th percentile mark.

The doctor, who I like very much indeed said there is no need for despair. We have been seeing her now for 10 months and she has now ruled out any problems with Rose. In the beginning things were looking bleak and all sorts of tests were looming on the horizon. One thing that is remaining a mystery is why Rosie gained so much weight when we went to the UK. Dr. Khatouby wants us to go back again and see if it happens again. She is very serious about it as the only time Rose has ever had a significant weight gain was after our trip there. She actually gained 2lbs 2oz's and in her whole life she has never gained that much. If it does happen she wants to do a study and use Rosie in it. So now I have to figure out when I can go and for how long. Nothing with Rosie is ever easy. LOL

She is still gaining at this point and that is good. Her head circumference is very small which shows she will be a very petite adult. Her height is changing so this shows she is growing it is just her weight that is very slow to change.

Our problem now is that she is wearing such tiny clothes that most of them have snap closures at the crotch and that isn't good when you are toilet trained! And when she doesn't wear a diaper her clothes just fall right off.

So all in all the visit was good. She wants to know if we would consider something to boost her appetite. Hmmm, I don't think so. We talked at great length about it and the one she wants to use has been used in Europe for years and is a histamine which would make her drowsy and would only be taken at night. It contains NO hormones and is safe, don't they all say that? We are going to wait a few more months and I am going to discuss it with our pediatrician when we go in February. In the meantime it is back to the usual antics of trying to make this weanut eat something that will put meat on her scrawny little bones.


3 comments:

Love Letters To China said...

Seeing Rosie in person, I never would have thought she was so tiny. If I could only have those problems with not wanting to eat sweets... ;-) You have to bring her over to my house. I'll feed her some of my Italian home cooked meals. That's why Liam has gained 7 pounds in one year!

Tammie said...

I totally understand your concerns Dawn. Believe it or not, we're facing issues with Erin. She is in the 10th percentile for height. Her weight is in the 3rd percentile. Dr. Liang is concerned that Erin doesn't lose weight or it will throw her off the growth curve. Currently it is believed that Erin MAY make 5 feet tall.

I try not to worry too much. Erin lives on carbs. She gets in 3 forkfuls of pasta & is full. The only veggies she'll touch are corn & sweet potatoes. In fact, she just polished off a box of Wheat Thins.

I'm learning that petite isn't so bad. Erin takes her vitamins daily without fail. I'm considering making milkshakes daily to tempt her.

If Rosie is happy & healthy other than the weight, go with it.

Robin said...

As teany as she is, it's wonderful to hear she is doing well and growing! :0)

Quick question.. you didn't move did you? I want to send you a card and for some reason I have it in my mind that I read you moved. If you did, could you send me your new address

Hugs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails