28 Jan 2009

Shark Face

A couple of days ago Lily told me that her tooth was hurting. I looked but couldn't see anything. She whacked herself in the mouth very hard a week or so ago when playing the recorder so I thought it was due to that. When I would brush her teeth she would say, Ow Mummy that hurts. This morning I brushed very gingerly around the offending area and she still winced so I sent her to my room to get my specs and when she came back I inspected her mouth. Well whaddayaknow? Lily has a bright shiny new tooth just poking through the gum line. The one at the front on the bottom. When I told her she was delighted. She shrieked and ran and told her dad and jumped up and down.

I really didn't like to burst her bubble but I thought I should point something out to her because I could see how it would be exciting if you had had a wobbly tooth and it had fallen out and then you got to see a new big tooth. But she hasn't lost a tooth yet. Her little tooth is still there and still very much embedded in her gum. This new tooth is growing in behind it.

She asked if it was bad and I told her her dentist said she thought this would happen. She was all excited again. I tried to wobble the baby tooth but it isn't in any hurry to move out.

And so for now I call her Shark Face!

After she came home from school today she asked if she could have some gum. I obliged her little whim and she sat down to do her homework. After about 20 minutes I walked up to her and dropped a Hershe*y Kiss on her paper. I walked away and entertained Rosie and a few minutes later Lily came up to me and said she had gum in her hair. I must have looked dumbfounded because she repeated herself. I asked her how it happened and she said, "Do you remember telling me about how Grandpa got some gum when he was a little boy and when he went to bed that night he didn't want to waste it so he stuck it behind his ear and when he woke up in the morning it was all stuck to his head and hair?" I told her that I remembered. She then continued, "Well I didn't want to waste my gum when I ate my kiss so I put it behind my ear and it fell into my hair."

I spent the next hour rubbing her hair in peanut butter and washing it four times until I finally got it out! I told her that her Grandpa has a lot to answer for and I suggested that she NEVER EAT GUM AGAIN, in her life.

The sad thing is, I love this life. The shark like tooth, the gum in the hair stories, the ear splitting shrieks of delight when she and her sister play, the constant chatter, her little face when she walks out of school and sees me and most of all I love it when she is just out of the bath and ready for bed and all snuggly. Lily is a very sweet soul and I am so lucky that I was chosen to be the one that she would call, Mummy.

My daddy is having surgery tomorrow so send him some good vibes. He doesn't "do" hospitals and is already planning his great escape!

4 comments:

Tammie said...

What a great story! Like Granddad like Lily!

Please know that your dad will be in my thoughts. I hope that all goes well.

redmaryjanes said...

I will say a little prayer for our father's surgery.
Oh my word, I can't believe she put the gum behind her ear...too funny!

Dannye said...

love the stories....keep em coming!!! Hopefully Lil's tooth will fall out soon and the Tooth Fairy will visit her....

How did your dad do? did the great escape happen?? he's definitely in our thoughts and prayers as are all of you...

thanks for the pressie, he appreciated it (as do we)...we love you!

Vivian M said...

Dad is in our thoughts and prayers, and sending positive thoughts his way and that his escape plans are foiled!
I didn't know you could get gum out with peanut butter. You are a wealth of information! Glad the gum came out, and hopefully the tooth will be painless.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails