14 Apr 2008

Mistake Number 2.......

Okay so this poor little girl has only been with us for 7 weeks and we are already on parenting mistake number 2 with her. You really would have thought that Lily would have been the test child and by now we would have got it all figured out but not the case!

The heat rash that Rosie has; not a heat rash at all but actually a virus. Who would have thunk? Since we have a "Heart Baby" we try very hard to treat her just the same as Lily. The cardiologists have told us that she has no restrictions whatsoever so we try, and I believe we succeed, in treating her as one would any other child. So, when she ran a temp a very low grade temp, for a few days a week ago we chalked it up to "whatever" and let it run it's course. She had no other symptoms at all. Then when this rash appeared we just figured it was prickly heat cos a) it looked just like it b) it has been really hot here and c) she sweats like a little oinker. I am determined not to over react with every little symptom and run to the doctor once a week but today we finally went in to see her and she said that it is a virus. We can't do anything for it and it needs to run it's course. Phew, lucky break for me here, at least she hasn't been missing some necessary treatment for the last week. She has gained just over a pound since the medical exam in China and when she walked out of the Doctors office unaided the doc' just laughed and said that she really cannot believe this is the same child. We can't believe it either. Watching this little girl for the first 48 hours I honestly thought she would be at least 18 months old before she started to walk. She was frail and feeble. Not anymore. I am still not sure how we are ever going to get her up to her surgery weight by August but maybe if we can just keep getting her fitter and stronger that will be enough and we won't have to postpone it again. She can crawl up a flight of stairs now like an athlete but when we came home she couldn't get up one. The other thing she does now is if I am laying on the floor she can climb over me whereas a few weeks ago she would just fall back down.

Rosie now prefers walking to crawling and still laughs the whole time she is upright. She went to bed with 4 teeth on Saturday night and woke up with 6 on Sunday morning. Well the new ones can't really be considered teeth yet but they have broken through the surface. Since I knew she was teething that was another reason why I let the rash go......all kids have a different reaction to their teeth and I thought this was hers.

She is a dreadful gardener and just rips the heads off of all the flowers she sees. I was dead heading the flowers with her this morning and she just yanked handfuls of flowers at a time. Oh well they will grow back as will my new hair cut!

Yesterday we had some friends over for the day and Rosie shocked us all by sitting on their laps and at one point reaching for Grandma G so that she would pick her up. We were so happy to see her start going to other people. This was in her home and I am not so sure that she will be so brazen if we are out but it is a start.

A little side note from yesterday: When I tucked Lily into bed and was giving her a hug she told me this, "Mummy, tonight when I hugged Grandma G goodbye I hugged her for a few extra minutes." I told her that was nice and must have made "GG" very happy. She then said, " I did it because it felt good to hug someone with a little, you know, extra stuff cos you are so bony Mummy." I wasn't sure what to say. She is always telling me my bones stick out and I always tell her the same thing and that is that I cannot help it it is just the way I am made.....I guess she wants me fluffier.

I love this video of our 2 girls. I also love saying that. When Jacob is working he calls home and always says, how are our girls. He loves saying it too.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


Girls, Girls and more Girls

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


Hmmm, and why is the umbrella only this tall?

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


This is our friends youngest daughter. She is VERY shy. She fell for Jacob the first time she met him but I was not in her inner circle until recently. Now we are friends.She has decided that Rose is "her" baby sister and that is fine with everyone including Lily and her own sisters. Yesterday she was eating a lolipop that Lily made magically appear from who knows where and she just decided that her baby sister should share it with her. It was such a sweet gesture and so touching.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


This is one of my favourite times of day. Each night when I go up to bed I check in on the girls. Actually I go upstairs about 5 times to check on them not because I am neurotic but because I can. I love to watch them sleep. For so long I would check in on Lily and then walk past an empty room and sigh but now that empty room is filled with a little girlie and I get to kiss her and snuggle with her and then linger at the side of her crib marvelling at the wonder of adoption before I walk out of the room. It really doesn't get any better than this. 2 rooms with 2 girlies = BLISS.

9 comments:

PIPO said...

I love that video too...Lily is keeping it even with her sis! Sweet.

Don't be so hard on yourself. The virus will run its course and you missed out on nothing. Your wee weasel is just fine (and mighty cute too).

If you would like to arrange a 'fluff' transplant, you know where to find me. I'll gladly donate!

Snowflowers Mum said...

Gosh I love coming to your blog! and i love you call rosie a 'weasel', a popular endearment in our house too...along with 'ratbag'.

Isnt it great to have two girlies in two bedrooms...you're right it is BLISS.

Dont worry about the rash, it's one of those things, I would have thought heat rash or teething rash myself, and I've been caring for babies for 10 years...even heart babies!

Hayley
p.s. where do I get the boney gene...I have lots of 'fluffy' for slae if you want some!

Nikki said...

Hope sweet Rosie is on the mend...and that all you girls are able to "fluff" up a bit. hehe...if only I had that problem!

I love visiting here...your family makes me happy.
XO

Dannye said...

your sweeties are so very sweet...and I cant believe how big rosie is getting....

your two girls are amazing, as are the two of you!!

P.S. I've got extra fluff...I'll send it your way...hehe

Vivian M said...

(Hiding my extra fluff) I think you are doing just fine...it is not a mistake. And Rosie will not even remember!
Your girls are adorable and you are so right...I love to sneak up and watch Kerri sleeping in her room at night. Except in my case, I am a worry wart and checking to make sure she is breathing. Only then, can I sigh and enjoy the bliss. (Or maybe it is just relief?).

3D said...

Hope the rash disappears soon.

That video is so sweet.

It does sound heavenly to see 2 girls and all their girlie stuff.

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

If Lily likes fluff she may never let go of me when I give her a hug....my fluff just goes on and on and on and on.. LOL
Jenna

Steffie B. said...

just precious.....I totally understand the feeling about have "two"....it makes me all giddy! ;) So glad things are wonderful for you! ;)

redmaryjanes said...

You are doing a wonderful job with little Rosie. Each new picture I see of her, she just radiates more happiness.
It's so hard to know what to do with their little fevers and rashes. It sounds like she will be recovering soon.
Lily would love to hug me, since I have a little fluff!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails