30 Aug 2007

I Have To Go Pee-Pee

Shortly after Lily's 5th birthday she turned into peeing machine. I took her to her pediatrician and she did a urinalysis that came back negative. The ped' said that if she didn't poop every day she would get pressure on her bladder. Umm hello. Lily does poop everyday. Lily didn't have any discomfort but the need to pee didn't go away. Since she was symptom free and pain free we decided to see if it would go away in time. We thought that it might all be in her head and that a break form her routine would cure her but as of today she is still peeing all the time and when we were in the UK she would interrupt her play time to have to stop and pee and would even ask before we went somewhere if they had bathrooms.

This morning we took her to a new pediatrician, who happens to be a client of mine. Ever since I met this lady I wanted to switch to her but I felt a loyalty to the other DR. A couple of things have happened recently with the other DR and I knew it was the time to switch. Lily loves her new doc and her new office. After a thorough examination and a multitude of questions and of course another urinalysis it has been determined that Lily still does not have a UTI but could very possibly have had one and is now just in the habit of peeing all the time. Trying to stop her from peeing will not work so we are trying a different approach and if this doesn't work we are off to see a pediatric urologist next month.

Wish her luck cos she is going nuts and says at least once a day, "i just want to pee like a normal kid".

If it is in her head she has something called, irritated bladder and has a mother with an irritated brain. I wished so much for her to have a UTI cos that would have been cut and dry but this is Lily and nothing is ever cut and dry.

Before we went to the UK Lily said she had a surprise for everyone, on her head. She had had her ears pierced but didn't want to say anything on the blog because she wanted to show her Nannis and Grandpa first. Sadly, one ear has become infected and as of this morning she now only has one earring in. She got some little lady bird earrings form Brightons from her daddy but apparently she is allergic to silver so overnight she got a really nasty infection (well add to the silver irritation all the kids touching her cute little earrings with their grubby little fingers) but that is now also under control and the new DR promised to re pierce her ear in 6 weeks if it closes up.

This infection kills me. I am a germ freak and kept her ears so clean. Even the DR joked this morning about Lily being the Purell Queens daughter and noticed that Lily was so clean she said, no kid has finger nails this clean. Oh yeah, well mine does and so were her ears, I swear.

OK I am off to administer the meds.

Have a germ free day. Oh and if you have any spare loo roll we'll take it. We are using miles and miles of the stuff....just ask Nannis.

19 comments:

3D said...

Poor Lil! And Lil's Mom!

Not fun at all. Hope the flow stops and the ear clears up.

Hugs!

Keep smilin!

Janet said...

Neil went through a stage, too, when he was peeing CONSTANTLY! We couldn't make a quick trip in the car without him "having to go". I don't know how it stopped, but it finally did. I wish you well....I know what it's like- and it's not fun. :-)

Pug Mama said...

...and the Q-tip addict said....
You had me at, "I keep her ears super clean"
glad to know it's not just me.

Kris said...

I hope she gets back to normal peeing soon, poor girl. And I look forward to seeing her in earrings, once that ear heals!

Patricia/NYC said...

Poor Lily! Nothing worse than interrupting play time for, well, you know! Except maybe an ear infection...boo! I hope she feels better all around real soon!

insanemommy said...

So, that's what I have! I'm a big time pee'er. I too fret and freak out if there is not a bathroom in close proximity to where we're going. Imagine my stress when we take the metro and there are NO toilets in the station or on the train! It's awful.

Anonymous said...

I'm a lurker, but had to comment on this because I know exactly what Lily is going through! Last year I was diagnosed with a bladder condition, but it took nearly 9 months of going back and forth to doctors (and doing a lot of peeing!) before it was properly diagnosed. It was really frustrating and there's nothing worse than having to worry about going to the bathroom. Now everything is fine since I finally got a doctor who knew what they were doing! Since Lily is so very young, it's probably something simple, or like the doc said, just a habit she's gotten into from a previous infection. But, I do know how she feels and she is not alone! :) Hope she is feeling better soon!

--Emily

amy said...

Bummer! Hope everything heals ok!

Dannye said...

poor Lily, my sister pees a lot too, she says it is b/c she has a small bladder (hey maybe that's what's wrong with Lil too???), just a thought...

hope they find out what's wrong soon!!

Kristy said...

Glad to know I am not as crazy as my family thinks, being clean is a must!!! lol. I really hope the pee pee thing gets diagnosed soon and that Lily is fine. I hope you don't mind that I put your blog on ours. If you want you can put mine on yours also. Have a great weekend. Love, Kristy

redmaryjanes said...

I hope that the infection is gone quickly. That happened to me when I was a girl and got my ears pierced.
My son drinks a ton of liquids and pees a lot too.

Buckeyes & Eggrolls said...

When it rains it pours (no pun intended..) Poor Lil.. first she has to pee all the time and now she has an ear infected. :-(

to funny about being the Purell Queen's daughter.

Steffie B. said...

Emmie went through something like this when she hit Kindergarten. Constanly feeling like she had to go the bathroom.....it eventually stopped. We thought it might have been from a "death" of a close friend that set off the reaction.

Two Kayaks said...

Poor sweetheart. Thinking of her and hoping that everything clears up soon.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be a downer, but excessive peeing in kids is sometimes a symptom of diabetes (not like Lily is a big sweets girl, I know how she likes those salads!). It might be something you want to get her checked out for. I'm sure it's nothing serious, but I'm wishing you all the best!

PIPO said...

Hey Dawn - don't freak. I'm sure your ped tested for glucose on her UA. It's routine testing in that case.

So, if she has no pain, isn't caffeine loading and the ped has checked her UA, I wouldn't get too concerned unless she starts going outside and raising her leg on a bush. Then you have real issues.

The antibiotics will fix that ear right up. Into every life, some pus must come. Don't fault yourself, Mrs. Clean.

Nikki said...

My Lily pees constantly too -- she will literally just get done and we are runnin' back to the bathroom. I hope you get things figured out with yours so she can go back to "peeing like a normal kid"...
also hope her ear heals quickly -- I am sure it was no fault of yours that it got infected...sometimes these things just happen, unfortunately.

aimeeg said...

Poor Lily! I'm sure it's terribly frustrating for both of you. I hope you find out what's going on soon and get things fixed for her.

Anonymous said...

Do you think her ear is infected or is she allergic to silver. I can only wear 14k earrings. Even the ones that are supposedly hypoallergenic make me break out and it can then become infected.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails