2 Jun 2007

Some People Need To Think

Lily and I had to go to the grocery store this afternoon to pick up the last minute stuff for tomorrow. Lily loves going to that Publix cos she loves the girl behind the desk and Kathy loves her too. Whilst Kathy and Lily were exchanging niceties I stood to the side and another girl that I have known for years but who has recently transferred to "my" store came over and we started chatting. I have always liked her and it was nice to see her. She couldn't believe how much the Schnoog had grown, blah blah blah and then she said something that just utterly dumbfounded me.
She said, "did you ever dream that you could love her like your own?"
I nearly got whiplash cos I snapped my neck around so fast and said, "She is MY OWN".

Lily heard this part of the conversation and I know it is something that she will always hear but damn it people use some common frickin' sense. Lily didn't bat an eyelid. She knows full well who she is and who loves her etc etc but it has crippled me for the day.

If I was the swearing type I would say, SHIT. (Oh wait I am and I did!)


I will never forget what my Father said to me at some point on Gotcha Day when I finally found my way to a phone and rang him to say she was ours forever.

Me: Daddy it's me. We finally have her and she is absolutely beautiful.
Him (quite indignantly) : Of course she is beautiful, she is one of us.


The Princess, unscathed by todays comments.


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

20 comments:

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

This has been a huge topic of discussion on the FCC group this weekend cuz Angel got a thoughtless comment. Thankfully we have our families and each other who truly understand that they are OURS!!!

I am sorry that happened to you and Lily today. You are right about the fact that Lily is a secure child in her mummy and daddy's love.

Dannye said...

what a beautiful princess....happy birthday Lil!! May the sun shine bright tomorrow at your party!!!

Janet said...

Wow. That is an "interesting" comment. I would NOT BE HAPPY. At ALL. I guess it's best to be prepared for such things, but OH, how mad this momma bear would be!

Dannye said...

P.S. You have been "tagged"....

Steffie B. said...

That comment is even far worse than the one I got......I don't think my claws would have re-tracted on that one! On to better things.......I hope Lily has a wonderful,spectacular, super dooper birthday and I can't wait to see pictures! Big hugs to you Mama Lioness! ;)

aimeeg said...

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. It sounds like you both handled it so well.

I hope the party is lots of fun!

Julie said...

Wow, some people just have no brain.

I thought what your father said was perfect!!

Kris said...

I think I just fell in love with your dad and would like to adopt him for my own. Will you share?

As for that other person- what the????? Seriously, I DON'T GET the MENTALITY of most people!!

And they say ignorance is bliss...

Holly said...

That is just horrible. I don't see how people can think like that.

Lily's Pad said...

Utter ignorance! Sorry you had to endure that kind of comment.

Lily looks stunning in her princess gear. Hope you have a terrific birthday Lily!! Our Lily will be close behind in the turning 5 category (11/18). Let us know how it is:)

Mary

Polar Bear said...

What your dad said hit me like a ton of bricks. That is THE sweetest thing he could have ever said. It has me crying now.

Forget the stupid comment. The one from your dad is priceless.

I hope you are having a WONDERFUL birthday party Princess Lily!!

E said...

Wow. Ignorant. I don't know how I would have handled that. Something hurtful may have exited my lips before the brain filter could stop it. I can have a sharp tongue, espeicially when it comes to my children.
And when you shared your Dad conversation, I got a lump in my throat! Dad's always know what to say.

redmaryjanes said...

Those comments are my biggest worry. I know that they will happen, but I sure don't want them to.

Beckyb said...

Someone just said to me, "Is she your daughter OR did you adopt her???" I think my jaw dropped before I composed myself and said, "Yes, she IS my daughter and we DID adopt her!!" People need to THINK - I totally agree - I don't think they mean to sound cruel - but it sure can come off that way!

PIPO said...

I really worry about how I am going to handle that stuff....more the mean stuff than the stupid stuff. It is gonna be hard for this mama bear not to take a swipe but...yeah, yeah, that doesn't teach the right lesson. Doesn't mean I can't fantasize.

3D said...

Some people....argh!
Your dad sounds wonderful!

Moving on from the ignorant.. hope Miss Princess had a great party!

Keep smilin!

Nikki said...

Just came by to say "hi" and let you know I was thinking about you guys with the big day being TOMORROW!!! woo-hoo. And then I read about that idiotic comment you received today -- sooo sorry. Man, people can be so stupid. Thankfully your entire family (what a wonderful father you have, by the way) has just wrapped Lily up in beautiful complete love and she can remain unaffected by the ignorance of others! What a sweetie-pie princess she is...have a blast tomorrow. XOXO

amy said...

What a beautiful girl..Sorry to hear about that comment..

Enjoying your blog

M and M said...

I have had people ask me "why are you adopting, wouldn't you rather have your own". I too am dumbfounded - They will be my own.

I LOVE your fathers comment!

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I do wish people would just THINK!

Ann said...

Your Dad's comment brought tears to my eyes. Don't you just love it when they Do actually get it!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails