3 May 2007

Modern Art and my conscience.

Lily and I went to the park after school and we were the only ones there so she and I played on the equipment together. By now it should come as no surprise to anyone that I climb the equipment with her and slide down all the slides. After a while she went off on an adventure and started calling me to come look. For some reason I knew I needed to get the camera ready so I did. This is what I found.


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


More of the statue

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos



Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


This is the nuttiest statue I have ever seen especially since it was never actually very still. LOL

After we had been there for about an hour loads of other people showed up so I was no longer needed so I sat on a bench and people watched. What I saw left me horrified and I don't think I acted the way I should have. A mother with her child of about 12 showed up and the mother was making/encouraging the very overweight child to exercise. She told the girl to run and she ran for a bit then the mother told her more and chased her. The girl shouted something at the mother which I couldnt hear but I think it was rude so the mother took off her shoe and threw it very forcefully at the girls head and hit it. The kid took off running, unhurt,(physically at least) and the mother yelled for her to come back but she wouldn't. The mother tried to corral her but it was a no go. I started watching closely at this point cos I didn't like the the mothers atitude and then I very obviously whipped out my camera and video taped them. Once the mother caught up with her she slapped her around the face. I nearly threw up. I know that once she had done it she realised I was taping her cos she started making nicey nice with the child. They left shortly after and I was tempted to take down her license plate number but I didn't.I was worried that if I made a fuss the kid would get it even worse after they got home. What would you have done???

13 comments:

Polar Bear said...

Ps. That is the cutest statue I have EVER seen!

Polar Bear said...

Wow! That is a tough one. I would like to think that I would call the police. It seems that at first the mother has the right intention when she is taking her daughter to the park for exercise. It is OBVIOUS that the mother has absolutely NO parenting skills. I bet that is why the little girl is over-weight to begin with. I would guess if the mom is like that in the park, she must be a real treat at home. I hope that they can get some help. That poor poor little girl.

Steffie B. said...

I don't know Dawn. I probably would have taken my children and left. Perhaps I would have said something.....I don't know. I'm sorry your fun day at the park had to end like that. Side note.....that little statue was pretty darn cute if you ask me! ;)

PIPO said...

I'm worried for that young girl. I hope there is someone in her life who can help her and her family.

What a hard spot for you to see such an awful glimpse and be left to wonder.

The statue, on the other hand, is very cute.

3D said...

That is awful! Parents are supposed to support and build up a child. Not tear them down and slap them around.

Thank goodness that adorable statue is there for everyone to admire.

Keep smilin!

Beckyb said...

That is so hard - I agree, it may have made it worse later for the child, but I just hate to see kids being hurt!! I guess I have no advice - it's a tough one! But yes, I love the statue too!!

Anonymous said...

hi dawn trying again

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I would have bit my tongue in that situation because what can you say that could change that kind of mother's attitude? But you can be sure I would have taken her license plate down and dropped it off with a copy of the video tape with the local police dept. If she acted that way at the park in front of you, I'm sure it wasn't the first time she's been abusive in public. In regards to the shoe-throwing, sometimes the intention to hurt someone hurts worse than than the physical abuse.

Briana's Mom said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hi! I will checking in on yours from now on. Your daughter is beautiful!

As for the lady in the park, that is just horrifying. I can't say that I would have known what to do either.

Ann said...

That's a tough one. I have a tendancy to stare and watch parents like that too. I have said stuff before. And it never goes over very well at all.But I see your point you don't want the child to get it worse at home, but then you don't want to not do anything.

Oh and the statue, very cute and I noticed the small flower in her hair too, it was a sweet touch.

M and M said...

Whoa - that is a difficult situation. I really don't know how I would have reacted. I don't think I would write here what I would have wanted to do though...

Would getting the child taken into Children's Aid be better or worse for the child??? There are too many factors.

M and M said...

And by the way - Lily make a lovely statue!

Nikki said...

Lily is a beautiful (moving) statue!
As for the crazy, abusive lady in the park...I have no idea what I would have done. How horrible!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails