6 May 2007

And I Had It All Planned

I was so happy on Friday to know that the weekend was here. For some reason last week was a tough one and just wouldn't end. I decided if it was a nice day on Saturday I would take Lily to the beach and we would just be lazy bums. So on Saturday morning I got up made a picnic for us and gathered all the beach stuff. We arrived nice and early and had a great time but that is where the fun ends. She nodded off in the car on the way home and I had a hard time waking her up, usually the transition from the car to the house is enough to get her moving. So I left her to come to as I cleaned all the beach toys and put everything away and then I took her upstairs for a shower. Even in there she was lethargic and laid on the bottom of the tub. Afterwards she was still pretty floppy and as I carried her downstairs I noticed that her head was hot. (Lily is peculiar when she gets a temp cos she doesn't get hot all over just bits here and there.) I took her temp and it was 101.5 , up, but no huge biggy. I decided to run to the store and get things for fevery kids. Repeat after me, BAD MOVE. We made it half a block from the house, she was chatty and fine when suddenly she threw up e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. I pulled off the road checked she was OK and we made a u-ey and came home. The poor kid (plus my car) were drowning in the stuff. I grabbed her and put her back in the tub, started cleaning and no sooner was the end in sight I got round 2. She then started to cry, she doesn't cry, she is tough, too tough, and groan that her tummy hurt. If I tried to touch it she would yelp. I thought things through and decided that perhaps she needed to vomit again and that would help but it didn't help. After and hour and a half of hearing her moan with pain I knew I should call the DR.

Lily is a healthy girl who thank goodness seems to have built quite an immune system whilst living in China and most things don't stick to her. She was very sick when we bought her home but has been great ever since and I have never had to call the pediatrician after hours ever before. I rang and got the service. Within 20 minutes the DR was on the phone and she is a friend of mine, we went backwards and forwards a few times with symptons and such when she said, is that Lily in the background moaning? I told her it was she asked how long it had been going on for and told me to take her to the ER.. I went to put Lily in the car and realised I didn't have a car seat, the stuff was all in the washing machine. I grabbed a blanket for the backseat, buckled her in and off we went. This time we made it 2 blocks from the house and barfola again. I pulled over so the side of the road and within seconds she was all chipper again. She said her stomach still hurt but she felt good. Quandary, quandary, quandary, go home go to the ER. I decided I had better take her to the ER since "P" had told me too but after a few minutes of being their she just perked up more and more. I am not one for wasting physicians time so I went up to the desk explained the situation and we left. We were halfway home and the, mummy my tummy hurts so much, chant started again. Now I was utterly confused and didn't know what the heck to do. I took her home and laid with her on the bed until she fell asleep 3 minutes later. She was groaning in her sleep until after midnight but today she was fine and you would never have known she was so ill yesterday other than the fact that she is a little whingey and has the appetite of an ant but that is OK.

I felt so helpless watching her yesterday. My little girl is always smiling and happy and she was so sad and down trodden. To see her in pain broke my heart. I knew it was nothing "serious" but I am the mummy I am meant to make everything better and there was nothing I could do for her other than hold her hot little body. She was so pale and her eyes had huge black circles around them and she just kept saying, mummy make it stop hurting. I am strangely calm in ugly situations, I have been through some really bad ones and for whatever reason I am always the voice of reason in them. It must be the other me cos lordy knows I panic over everything else.

My car?.....its feeling much better too, it went to the car spa today to get refreshed, spruced up and massaged! It needed it.

20 comments:

redmaryjanes said...

I hope that she stays on the road to recovery. I have vomiting, it is so scarey for children.

redmaryjanes said...

I mean I hate vomiting-that's kind of a funny typo..

Julie said...

I hope she is feeling better now! Poor little thing.

I had this bug all week - it was really horrible. I have never had stomach pains like that in my life! It was baaaaad.

Beckyb said...

I have heard that that bug is horrible - I am so sorry she caught it - I agree with Kimberly - there is NOTHING worse than kids and vomitting - or adults and vomitting - for that matter!! Hopefully tomorrow is EVEN BETTER!!

Kathy and Joel said...

Oh my goodness, Dawn! What an ordeal for you and for your sweet girl. I'm glad to hear that she is feeling better today. Sounds like you did all the right things yesterday. :)

Special K said...

Glad to hear Lily is on the mend. Poor sweet girl... and mommy too. These are the days of motherhood that I'm not looking forward to.

Nikki said...

I'm sooo sorry to hear that sweet Lily was so sick. I'm glad she is feeling better, though. She is one tough kid (and so is her mum)!

Patricia/NYC said...

Poor, sweet Lily! SO glad to hear she is on the mend! And, I know how you feel when we, the "mommies' can't always "make it go away", but I think you did a fabulous job! As my mom would say to me, "don't be so hard on yourself!"

Glad today was a better & brighter day!
Patricia/NYC
lucky momma to a sweetie from Hubei

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

Poor baby; poor mommy! I am so sorry that Lily had that horrid bug that is going around. It stinks to watch your little girl so sick. I am so glad that it is behind you.

Dannye said...

I am glad to hear that Lil is feeling better today, I am sooo sorry she was ill, that bug stinks big time, tell Lil I will send her a frog swatter to swat that bug away next time!!!

Polar Bear said...

Poor girl! I hope she is still on the mend.

That must have been terrible for you. I hope you are on the mend, too.

Briana's Mom said...

Poor baby! I am glad she is feeling better.

3D said...

Oh no! Poor Lily, Mummy and car. It must be scary but good for you for staying calm. I hope everyone is doing better today.

Keep smilin!

aimeeg said...

Oh, poor girl! That is such an awful experience. I'm sure she was glad to have her mummy there for help!

PIPO said...

Glad Ms. Lily has perked back up and I hope she doesn't wilt again!

The car...oops. Get that extra strength air freshener...of course that stuff can be stinky enough to make one want to barf!

Ann said...

Poor lily. I wonder if she had some type of food poisoning. It sounds like you had a rough night. i'm so sorry and I hope she is back to her smiley self soon.

And the car...ewwww, can you just buy a new one. :0)

Pug Mama said...

Oh, poor, sweet Lily!!!
I hope she is back to her normal self soon.

M and M said...

I am so sorry that Lily is feeling poorly...

I HATE vomiting - it has got to be one of the worst things for me and I am and adult and understand it all...

Hugs to Lily.

Kris said...

My gosh, I am so sorry she felt that bad! Sounds like a bit of a virus to me, glad she's already better! And glad your car is fresh and clean again... : O )

Steffie B. said...

Oh...that poor little honey....I hope she is feeling better....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails