21 Feb 2007

Call It What You Want

Depending on where you live and what your beliefs are, yesterday was either Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday or as in our case, Pancake Day. What the heck is Pancake Day? In the little town in England that I grew up in on Shrove Tuesday there is a peculiar little tradition called the Pancake Race. Basically you have had to live in the town for x amount of months to participate and it starts at the Market Sqaure and ends at the Church. Not just a running race cos that would be boring. So all the ladies must be dressed in an apron and wear a headscarf, and have a frying pan in hand with a pancake in it (in the States you call them crepes) and she has to dash like a looney through the streets tossing her pancake as she goes, all the way to finish line. Now this crazy little race is a big deal and every year Olneys participants race against a town in Kansas and sad but true it is even in the Guiness book of records for the fastest time ever run in a pancake race! (Nope, never did it but nearly did the year we got married)
If you should so choose you can read more about it here.
Pancake Race

So last night we had pancakes for dessert and Lily had her first attempt at tossing one. This is an integral part of making pancakes! I was a nervous wreck because I have never had her working at the stove before. Oh, one other thing in this epic length post of silliness, the cookery book that we used to make the batter was mine when I was a little girl and I can honestly say, I use it frequently when I am cooking with Lily cos it is all done with pictures.

A Zesty Little Toss

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


This Kid Is Unbelievable.

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


She Put Way To Many Toppings On Hers (traditional ones have lemon juice and sugar)

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos


Cooking One

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

19 comments:

3D said...

I just read about that race in the newspaper today!

Good for her!

Keep smilin!

Pug Mama said...

pancake race???
too funny.
my son love to cook pancakes also!

Nikki said...

We watched Lily "swip" her pancake about 20 times over here.
We are always so impressed (and entertained) by that sweet girl of yours!

elizabeth said...

Lily is absolutely adorable! It's sweet seeing her so proud after the flip!

Beckyb said...

We'll be over tomorrow night for pancakes - those look WONDERFUL - and the toppings - YUMMY!!!!

Kathy and Joel said...

How fun are you?? We had pancakes as well yesterday (actually, we cooked them for all the kids in our school. By the time we were through, we did not want to see another pancake! It's a good thing that FT happens only once a year.

aimeeg said...

Very cool! And she is quite the little flipper!

Nikki said...

Hey Dawn, You had expressed interest in changing your blog's look, well my friend Verna (the one who helped me change mine) is offering her help to others.
If you are interested, visit her blog (it is listed on my blogroll,Room for more...)

PIPO said...

That is so cute...miss flipper!

Hey, this norteamericana has always called them pancakes too :0)

Polar Bear said...

Someone asked me if I ate my pancakes last night. I had never heard of that before. Very interesting race it sounds like.

You have quite the little chef there. Cute as a button too!

Dannye said...

Lily is going to be a fantastic all around person, and will make her family proud, no wait, she already does. As always, she is a quick study and has a great teacher.

Thanks for sharing the "pancake" flips!!

Debz said...

Pancake race? sounds like fun!
We also call then flapjacks! I love putting berries in the batter. Yum! I just find you fill up on them sooooo fast then wham! Your sleepy!

Kris said...

Okay then... kinda wantin' to cheat on my diet looking at that pancake- yummmmmm

Kris
(love that video!!)

colin said...

Am so proud of you all.It was great to see lily toss the pancake.Thank you so much for sending the video of Lily singing Grandpa Brownbridge's song.It brought a tear to my eyes.thanks again for all the videos,as some I had not seen before.Love you,big hug from me to Lily please.bruvxxxxxx

Buckeyes & Eggrolls said...

Looks like you both had a wonderful time making pancakes.
:-) What a great tradition to start with Lily.

Steffie B. said...

You girls just crack me up over there! I always know I am going to get a good laugh when I come to visit! ;)

redmaryjanes said...

She is so talented!! Pancake Princess if I ever saw one.

Nannie said...

Lily
Grandpa has just told me a story about your Great Uncle Ralph Paignton Lineham. He decided he was an expert pancake flipper as well but when he tossed the pancake in the air it fell down behind the cooker and was never seen again. Yours looked really yummy.

M and M said...

I am continually impressed with Lily's abilities and pancake flipper is just the newest one to add to the list.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails