10 Nov 2006

A Question For All You Teachers.....and parents


I need a little advice from all of you teachers out there and any parents who have BTDT. Lily is 4 and is in pre-k. I love her school and her teachers. I stand by what they say and think it is important for parents to back the teaching staff. Her school stresses the importance of attendance and I agree with it, to a point. When they found out that she would be missing 2 or possibley 3 weeks of school to travel with us to China the principal nearly had a stroke and told us in no uncertain terms that she didn't agree with it but that we had to make our own decisions. Remember how old she is here, it isn't high school.

Now here is my question. I want to zip back to the old country for a long weekend before the Holidays. The town that my folks live in puts on something called, "A Dickens Of A Christmas" where all the merchants dress in period costume for a day and sell stuff related to the Dickens era as well as thier usual wares. I think it would be so much fun and I know this is the last year I can possibley go since next year Lily will be in in Kindergarten and I cannot just take her out of school, However I feel that this is pre-k, it is optional, something that we pay for, for the betterment of our child. Should I do it? She will miss 3 days of school. We will fly out on a Wednesday evening and fly back on a Tuesday and she will be back in her classroom on Wednesday morning (jetlagged but there!). Speak your mind please. I am not going to be offended that is why I asked. I am not used to the education system over here so I really NEED the feed back.

11 comments:

Joannah said...

You should go! Lily is in Pre-K, for crying out loud. The principal is probably just seeing his or her attendance dollars lost for the time she's away. Too bad.

Arrange for Lily to take any work with her when you take her out of school (it can't be that heavy at this stage of the game). Tell the teacher and principal that you will be reading with her daily, as well.

As for China, of course she should go!

Ann said...

she's in pre-k, tell her principal to stop having a cow and relax. Lily will be just fine. Go enjoy and have fun.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I had to answer...as a mother of 5 kids, I believe that experienceing life is just as important as classroom education. Take her out while you can. She will learn from the things you are doing together. "I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand"

Andie said...

Bring her here! OK the education we give her in that week will be different, but no less essential. In fact judging by the American accent going on, Lily could do with a few more "real" English lessons.

If the principal loses money over this, that's even better. Ask him/her if he would deny Lily the chance to see snow (however remote that might be)she's not going to get any in Miami!

Just let me know if you need me to write any more reasons, I can go on forever.

Cindy said...

I'd so go for it. Any experience, especially a fun experience, is one she would love to have!

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

I have always been a stickler on the school attendance issue but this is Pre-K. It does not count and even if it did there are some experiences that are far more important than classroom learning. Go for it!!

Kim :) said...

I am an elementary school principal and I say GO!!! The experiences are worth more than anything a school can do during those days. I plan to take my boys to China and they are in high school! Go, go, go!!!!

Kim M. said...

I believe life experience such as traveling to other countries would be an amazing learning exprience for Lily. I agree with Joannah in that maybe the school is seeing a lost of funds. Let's be honest Lily is 4 you teach her just as much in her everyday life as they do.

Dawn said...

I thank you all for your comments. I feel really guilty about taking her out of school but honestly feel that at this age she really isn't missing to much academia. The time spent with her Grandparents, aunts, uncles, great uncle, and cousins is priceless. And I want to see my family so I think we will go and this will probably be the last trip to England before we go to China... but I think I said that in August. LOL

colin said...

Brill..when are you coming over then gel?

TaiwanMommy said...

Go! There is more to education that some greedy admin after more state dollars. Tell that fool that if (s)he is so certain missing school for important events is a bad idea, then you're thinking maybe you ought to just home school both kids cause you don't want them falling behind. My guess is, (s)he will shape up pretty quickly. How much more important is it that your daughter be a part of her family than attend school, anyway? You *could* home school her for the next 2 or 3 years in just an hour a day, and she'd be way ahead of her classmates academically.

Don't let some schmuck push you around, girl! You know what is best for your child(ren) not some frustrated admin with control issues!

hugs-
Val

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails