18 Aug 2011

Oh my frazzled brain

Dear Dade County Public School System.

I am sure what I am about to ask is thoroughly unfeasible but I am going to ask anyway because my OCD little self cannot take another year of this madness. I would like to suggest that we have "meet and greet the teacher" at the end of the school year. Yes, that's right, at the end of the school year. That way you can give all of us parents the supply list for the next school year at the beginning of the summer vacation and not 3 days before the start of the new school year.
Yes, I do know that you post a list on the each school's website but lets face it that is a skeleton list. I purchased everything on that list a week into summer break and had it all properly labeled and tagged and placed into my kidlets new backpacks months ago. Tonight however both girls met their new teachers and we left those meetings with supply lists. MY FREAKING HEAD ALMOST IMPLODED! How on God's green earth is anyone supposed to find 2 bottles of glue on any store shelf 3 days before the start of school, huh? Let's not forget the 17 new items on Rosie's list.
Peeps, I am way to organised for you to throw me a curve ball like this. I have their uniforms laid out already. Everything is labelled, well not their socks and knickers cos that would just be silly. We were ready to roll. Lunch menu's are ready to be selected from and you hand me a list of supplies which at this time of the year are harder to find than batteries during a hurricane watch. So help me, I won't be able to sleep tonight as I worry about where I can find, washable markers, not just ordinary ones but the fat ones for little fingers, 3 days before the new school year begins. And let's not forget the fat pencils.
I do understand that you as a school board has budget woes and other more important things to worry about than my OCD but seriously, give a mother a chance.....please.
Sincerely,
Twitching in Dade County!

7 comments:

Andie said...

Rebel!!! Send them with thin, indelible markers (and old school clothes), tell them to mark anything they like. That might get the teachers twitching instead. And I bet they'll be a lot easier to find in the shops than the washable sort.

Hope the kids enjoy being back at school.

Love Letters To China said...

My sentiments EXACTLY! I still can't find the jumbo size glue sticks for Liam's class. We just received their list last week. Drives me nuts! I found the big washable markers at Publix, of all places, on Wednesday of this week (saw them cheaper at Tarjay yesterday).

Good luck mama... We're almost there. :-)

Anonymous said...

whoops........must be something in the air....we move next monday and I am crotchety and insane.....hope it passes. colinxx

alice said...

Here's a suggestion for NEXT year. Our PTA got a list of the supplies required for each grade level. They purchased the items in bulk (and watched sales throughout the summer). At the beginning of the year, the parents could purchase the complete bag of needed supplies for each grade level. It was great for parents and a good fund raiser for the PTA.

Catherine said...

Sorry for the stress but ooo am I envying your organization skills! I am the Queen of Procrastination and trying desperately to step out of this mold. Any suggestions for baby steps for those who long to organize the way you do?

Hopefully today you're able to find all you need and more!

Me? I'm trying to pack this weekend for next weekend's vacation. That's 6 days ahead of my normal schedule and trying desperately to meet that goal.

Happy shopping.

Tammie said...

At Erin's school, the children have new teachers in kindergarten, 3rd & 6th grades because they revolve in clusters for 3 years. Unfortunately, the supply lists are as much a pain for us as they are for you. I was lucky this year. I'm guessing that enough parents made life uncomfortable enough that supply lists in general were made available at the beginning of the summer. By the 3rd week of summer vacation, I had everything labeled, packed & ready to go. This morning all I needed to do was get it to school.

Good luck on Monday!

Glenn Terry said...

Dawn. Thanks for sharing your summer adventures!
Not smelling like dead fish now,
GLenn

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails