23 May 2010

These Girls They Are A Changing

Stop the clocks...PUHLEASE.

It is happening in a blink of an eye. My girls are growing up so fast. Lily is losing teeth on a weekly basis and her face looks so very different now. Her perfect little white baby teeth that were all lined up like tiny soldiers are moving around as her jaw grows and she is getting huge gaps between her teeth and then of course the inevitable happens and one starts to wiggle. The wiggle is aided by an excited little girl and before we know it there is a gap as the tooth falls out. Her smile is funny now as she has lots of gaps and spaces and new little "icecaps" of teeth breaking through her gum line.

She is also getting quite tall and very strong. The other night after her bath she wanted to see if she could pick me up. I stood perfectly still knowing full well that there was no way she would be able to when all of a sudden I was lifted about 6 inches off of the floor. I was in complete shock to think that Lily could pick me up so easily. Admittedly I am not very big nor very heavy but still......the nerve of the child. LOL

She is very into Silly Band*z. This is the first craze she has ever been involved in. (for those of you that don't know what they are they are rubber bands in silly shapes and you wear them as bracelets. They have trading values and all the kids are wearing them)


They are like hotcakes and very hard to find. I have been seeing them in the oddest places and always pick them up when I do and keep them stashed away. A great week at school and she gets a trip to Mummy's prize patrol and always picks Silly Ban*dz. Rosie wears them too because what Lily does, Rosie must do too.

For the first time ever Lily has had a brain challenged in Math. She could not get her head around multiplication tables. I found this very odd as I taught them to her when she was 4 and she had no problem but now she has a mental block and it was making us both crazy. I didn't show her that it was making me crazy and just kept plodding along and trying different techniques. Finally it clicked. Not sure what happened but I was getting ready to take her to Aunt Pammies house for a few hours cos that woman can teach math to a stone!

Both girls are so excited to go to to England for the summer. We have a lot of plans over there this year. A bloggy bash, meeting with my cousins that I haven't seen since I was 10, and of course all the normal friends and family fun. I think we need at least a month. ( now British Airways needs to get it's game face on and quit mucking about)

Rosie is also growing and changing. The growing is not quite as noticeable cos it is after all Rosie that I am speaking of. She now calls herself a big girl because only baby's wear diapers. She is dry all the time but still wears a diaper at night even though she never pee's in it. A couple of days ago she asked to take it off so I did....very happily. I heard her use the toilet and then a few minutes later I heard her again and this pattern continued until she finally came downstairs and announced in a somewhat flabbergasted tone that she needed a diaper as she could not sleep. I have tried to get her to wear pull ups at night but she thinks they are swimming diapers and flatly refuses, stating that she is going to bed not to the pool. If nothing else this kid is a hoot.

She has finished her Alphabet Soup class and is now raring to start school in September. She talks non stop about needing her lunch box and getting new shoes, just like lily.

She no longer calls Lily, "Big Lily". It is a bit sad as I thought it was the sweetest thing. I suppose now that she too is a big girl she doesn't have to.

She still cannot say "almost" she says "oafter" so when we are almost there or she is almost done she is "oafter there or oafter done. Cracks us up. Washcloths escape her too they remain "lofjoffs". Funny little Peanut. Other than that her speech is pretty much sorted.

Her demons have been sleeping lately! Amen to that. Not sure what all the summer plans will do to that but again we will just work through it. I hope everyone understands that when I say NO, it is for a reason.

The biggest change in Rosie is this; orange is no longer her favourite colour. You could have knocked me over with a feather when we were out shopping a couple of weeks ago and she chose yellow over orange. I stood back and let her choose and she made her decision. I thought it was a one off thing but it isn't she is now very into yellow with orange falling into second place. Yellow is a much easier colour to find. Now if she would just stop calling it blue we would be golden! (wait, maybe she is colour blind like me and really thinks it is blue, or maybe it is blue and only I think it is yellow)

Both of the girls are loving the fact that the pool is finally warm enough to swim in so that is where we are heading today. I have 2 little fishies and in this weather I am so thankful for that. Rosie is swimming better and better by the day. I had a very disturbing conversation with a surgeon from childrens hospital the other day regarding the lessons given to children to teach them to roll onto their backs and float when they fall into the water, I'm not talking about swimming lessons but survival lessons. Apparently they don't work when the kids just fall into a body of water and are surprised by it. Many of the kids that drown or nearly drown that arrive at the hospital have had these lessons. Don't let your guard down and think for one minute your child is protected because you have done this for them. The element of surprise takes over and they forget what they are meant to do. ( end of public service announcement. )

So when you see me please don't tell me how big the girls are getting because I am painfully aware of it. I don't need you to remind me. My babies are growing up much to fast and there isn't anything I can do about it. I love the changes and embrace all the new things that they learn, just don't find it necessary to tell me K.
Have a wonderful Sunday.

2 comments:

Tammie said...

I so know what you mean Dawn!

I'm so proud of how far our girls have come & all of their accomplishments. However, I miss the days of being needed for almost everything.

Silly Bandz have taken over our house along with Mighty Beans & Go Gos. Wait. Lily will hear about them quite soon if she ha!sn't already. Then you'll have another useless item to keep in your prize patrol.

As for favorite colors, 5 seconds after we painted her room pink, Erin wanted us to change it to blue. BTW, she is not color blind!

I won't mention how much Lily & Rosie have grown if you promise to ignore Erin's growth spurt in return. ;-)

Vivian M said...

I certainly hope the airline get's its act together so you can go home and visit already!
I hear you, Kerri is growing and changing so much and too fast - I sometimes wish I could just freeze time for a few minutes every day to really take it all in. It happens so fast!
Thanks for the water safety trip, I have nightmares about drowning. I think it is time to look for a pool and get swimming lessons for Kerri.
Oh, and as for pull-ups- they have ones that look like shorts for bedtime. That might help convince Rosie that they are not swimming pull-ups.
Hope you have a wonderful week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails