3 Oct 2009

Mid Autumn Moon Festival.

Tonight we celebrated the Mid- Autumn Moon Festival. We were invited to a couple of events but due to a very hectic schedule and a large school project we chose to spend our evening quietly at home. We observed all the traditions, cleaned the house etc etc and we went out for a Chinese meal. On our way home from dinner we stopped an bought 2 balloons so that the girlies could attach notes to them and then release the balloons and let the wind carry them back to China to their birth parents.

Lily has always loved doing this and now as she gets older it stirs a lot of questions in her. Rosie was just thrilled to bits to get a balloon for no apparent reason and she chose a bright orange one emblazoned with the words, "happy birthday". Who was I to argue this was her moment not mine. Lily's was also orange but said, Happy Day on it. I suggested plain white ones but they thought they were very dull.

After their baths we went outside and as is the tradition the girls bowed to the moon or more specifically they bowed to the Goddess of the moon Chang E and then without fanfare Lily said a little something to her balloon gave it a kiss and let it go. Rosie on the other hand, held on to her string with all her might and chanted, "MINE". After a couple of seconds of watching Lily's balloon float away Rosie let go of hers but I think it was an accident because she got so upset and finally decided it was OK cos daddy could go and get the ladder and get it down for her. Lily being Lily looked at her and said, "what do you think Daddy can rest the ladder against and just how big do you think his ladder is?" I hate to admit it but I sort of giggled cos she is rather funny and she did make a valid point! I cajoled Rosie and the crisis was averted. However Daddy said he would replace the balloon cos he felt so badly for her. What a guy.

I have to say that the girls looked so sweet tonight in the Chinese clothes but Rosies pigtails nearly pushed me over the edge....so cheeky!




This was the first year ever that Lily referred to herself by her Chinese name in her note. Usually she signs it love from Lily but not so this evening. She told me she misses them and would like to know who they are......(me too kiddo, me too.)

3 comments:

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

Brings tears to my eyes. I love your girls and of course you too my cheeky friend!

Tammie said...

Sometimes the best way to celebrate these things are just as a family. You have 2 very special little girls.

Happy Mid Autumn Moon Festival!

Lisa (Briana's Mom) said...

I love the tradition of releasing the balloons! I may have to borrow that one for Briana next year. I don't think Briana would have wanted to let go of her balloon this year either! :) We enjoyed looking at the moon though!

Love Rosie's little pigtails! The girls looked adorable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails